Kitchen fitting...

Hi,

This is my first thread on here so if im doing something wrong then please be kind :)

We've been living in our house for almost five years and the kitchen is older than I am, my problem is that the quote to have a new one fitted is a lot more than we expected.

We've had three people round to quote, only one has gotten back to me with a price. We have an appointment booked at wickes to actually buy the kitchen and find out a fitting cost but that isn't for another week and the fitter who gave us the quote is really popular and gets booked up quickly so I want to give him an answer ASAP, he does do good work as we've used him before.

So...the kitchen will need to be torn out, tiles removed, all four walls and the ceiling skimmed, laminate ripped up, new laminate put down, plumbing new sink in, putting existing dishwasher, washing machine, electric oven back in and replacing the gas hob, we're not having tiles again. The whole room is about 2.5m X 4m max and there will be 4 or 5 wall cupboards and 4 base units including one corner. Sorry, I don't have the exact measurements to hand right now.

The quote, not including the actual kitchen, just the labour is £5700 inc vat. Is this excessive? We were thinking £2500-£3000 and were really shocked at £5700.

We live in a nice part of the North if area makes a difference.

Any views?

Thanks

Comments

• Sorry, we also would need three plug sockets relocating to about 2 feet away from where they are right now.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2016 at 9:15PM
    Easier to give more of an accurate cost when you have a specification for the actual kitchen but from what you say its does sound way too high.

4 or 5 wall units and similar base units ,plus worktops,cornices,plinths,integrated machines etc would only be around 1 weeks work for a fitter... I think your own estimate of around £2,500-£3k is more realistic.

Skimming the walls and ceiling is about a days work for a plasterer and a mate. Ripping out the existing kitchen is a mornings work or so........

The quote you mention is £4,750-00 + vat so even excluding the vat on the face of it sounds high even for down here in the South East..
  • Thank you leveller2911 for the reply, you've confirmed what we were thinking. I've just turned down the quote.

Thanks again
  • That sounds very high! Good luck finding another fitter.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Or go and get an Ikea method kitchen and fit it yourself, just pay someone to do the plumbing, tiling and electrics.
    This is what we are doing next week. Total cost including appliances (some Ikea, some second hand) will be around £4.5k including tiling etc. Paying extra on top for a quartz worktop.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2016 at 5:10PM
    It looks high at first but let break this down a little:
    Remove existing kitchen, floor and tiles: not sure about the quantities but we are looking at 2 probably 3 skips at around £150 each = £300
    Lets say 1 day work for 2 people = £500

If the new kitchen is going to be around 4-5 base units and similar wall units then add to that tiles and lino then that will easily go into 1 6yrd skip with room left for anything the OP wants to get rid off from the garden or attic. Labour wise its a mornings work for 1 man and a labourer/mate.

Plastering would be 1 day £200

Agreed
    Because it is kitchen I would guess it would need re-boarded 1 day (inc material £300)

Possibly but maybe not...........Its not in the OP's spec so it would be an extra.
    lets say £300 for each the gas and electric and plumbing roundup £1,000

Appliances are going back into the existing spaces so only needs minor alterations to plumbing and electrics which includes moving 3 sockets 2 feet away.
    Around £500 for the flooring

How many days do you base that on ?. To me putting down a laminate floor of 4 metres x 2.5 metre is 1.5 days work for one man maximum .

3 days for the kitchen 2 people £1,500

3 days for one man and a mate may be ok but you are basing that on £250 per man per day but you don't need 2 fitters for a job that size . I'm in the SE and fitters down here don't charge £250 a day that's over the top for down here let alone up North where the OP is......

Quotes are always arguable and extremely difficult to give without looking but they soon go up if you start to add moving the gas to the other side of the kitchen or the existing pipework or electric needs replacing...

Agree with this...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport