PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shared ownership/equity is a scam.

Options

Comments

• Graham_Devon
    Graham_Devon Posts: 58,560 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brit1234 wrote: »
    This thread is shared ownership/equity is a scam. It includes both schemes and refers them as both scams.

I believe they are both scams as their effect is to artifically prop up house prices much like the US sub prime, option arm and alt A mortgages. Its all the same scam to make money for the builders and the bankers at the buyers expense.

Yes I realise there is a clear difference between shared ownership and shared equity, however the media in most of the articles I have posted have also bounded both terms in the wrong incidents.

However both are still scams to get people to over pay for housing. Without them property I am sure would be cheaper.

I don't disagree with your general sentiment, re: a way to prop up high house prices.

What I do disagree with, is calling it a scam.

If it's a scam to prop up prices, then so was lax lending, so was BTL, so was 100%+ lending, so is SMI etc etc etc.

A scam, suggests that the person buying gets nothing in return, or gets a product that is not as described. That's not the case. In most cases, people get a home which they would otherwise be unable to afford, often for a cheaper price per month than renting, with a secure tenancy and a stake in the house / opportunity to at least start on the path towards buying a home. With the opportunity of staircasing, although costing more over the time period than it would to buy a house at 100% ownership, it gives another opportunity to make a further step towards total ownership.

I do take issue with shared equity, but again, my issue isn't so much with the (now removed, I believe) government homebuy scheme, but rather with the builder schemes.

With the builder shared equity schemes, I will agree with you. Can't agree they are a scam, as you get whats described. But can agree that the sole reason for the new shared equity schemes is for the benefit of the builders, with a costly price paid by the homeowners. With these schemes, the buyer is pretty much guaranteed to be in negative equity from day one, with interest ticking up on a loan almost inevitable.

Lumping all schemes under the umbrella scam is what gets my goat. None are scams. But each scheme has it's downfalls, and also positives. I agree, the lastest invention by builders is merely a way to prop up prices and to help builders only, with false spin laid on to make it look good for buyers. Basically, it's a desperate last ditch attempt to keep house prices, or at least the ones they are selling, high, and lay all possible downfalls on the buyers lap.
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2011 at 10:44PM
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    LOL. So they bought a property valued at £145,000 and have sold it for £98,000 and lost £47,000....

But no they had shared ownership instead of being down £47,000 they have been granted a discount on the final repayment from £36,000 to £17,000 so the losses are reduced to only £12,000 after paying the mortgage and the final repayment...

I'd say shared ownership is a fantastic idea. In this case instead of being bankrupted they could borrow £12,000 unsecured and their credit file will be safe.

And edit to add: they only have £94,000 outstanding on this mortgage. At an interest rate of 4% the mortgage repayment would have only been £315 per month if they declared they were in financial difficulty and renegotiated an interest only reprieve on the mortgage. If they can't afford that with two adults working how can they afford rent elsewhere....Yes, he lost his job so if he claimed benefit the interest would have been paid on the mortgage thereby costing them nothing to stay.

They have a 94k mortgage, they are getting 98k for the house, and they still have to give Bellway 17k of the selling price. If it wasn't shared equity, they would be 4k up.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    They have a 94k mortgage, they are getting 98k for the house, and they still have to give Bellway 17k of the selling price. If it wasn't shared equity, they would be 4k up.

Erm, if it had only been valued at the cost of the element they covered with mortgage & deposit, maybe.

It was valued, as they knew at £145k. If, just if, they had bought it outright at £145k, and they had now sold at £98k, they would have an outstanding debt of £47k (assuming the £4k difference between their mortgage and the sale value was their deposit).

As it is, partly due to what I assume is a shared risk element to the shared equity, they are faced with just a £12k difference. A HUGE saving of £35k Thanks to Shared Equity!

They must be idiots to blame shared equity rather than their own purchase of an over-valued property and their failure to plan ahead. :cool:
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    real1314 wrote: »
    They must be idiots to blame shared equity rather than their own purchase of an over-valued property and their failure to plan ahead. :cool:

That's the point of shared equity for the developers ie it allows first time buyers to overpay for a home with little deposit.

You see it time and time again members thinking its a good scheme helping them out but not understanding the implications and greater costs. :( All it is doing is allowing developers to fleece desperate buyers.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even if shared equity works out as planned, ten years down the line you are faced with raising tens of thousands of pounds; in the one we looked at, £40,000. Despite us both working, there is no prospect we could save that, which means putting it on the mortgage. Just when the difficult early years are behind us.

The mentality being pushed by the saleswoman (who informed us the cheaper houses advertised had just sold and prices just gone up), was that "something will turn up" in those ten years. Well, so far nothing has.

But that phrase does have a familiar ring:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkins_Micawber
    Something will turn up.

Having said all that, and despite believing shared equity and shared ownership are designed to prop up inflated prices, I wouldn't forbid others from going down that route if it was right for them. But I would beg them to think about all the possible pitfalls.
    Been away for a while.
  • Orpheo
    Orpheo Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    SMI is a licentious giveaway of public funds to unemployed debtors. It is scamming the taxpayer. SMI is a SCAM needs its own sticky thread.

Why hasn't this thread been stickied yet?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Orpheo wrote: »
    SMI is a licentious giveaway of public funds to unemployed debtors. It is scamming the taxpayer. SMI is a SCAM needs its own sticky thread.

Why hasn't this thread been stickied yet?

I trust you would same the same about HB/ LHA also?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Orpheo
    Orpheo Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2011 at 10:56AM
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I trust you would same the same about HB/ LHA also?

Not exactly. Those on HB may not be debtors and they may not be unemployed. HB/LHA is a filthy betrayal of both taxpayers and those who need it as it props up rent and house prices by handing public funds to private landlords.

Both SMI (where SMI>mortgage interest) and HB potentially allow someone to buy private property with public money.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRag1OLKIgLRdHuFBG99W7wYXIKdVxvUrNpxb7AM8mHz9E89uag6w

Out on a limb: why one man regrets getting involved

Miles Brignall
    The Guardian, Saturday 20 October 2007

One man who wishes he'd never got involved in a shared ownership scheme is Peter.

He and his partner - who, as a teacher, is a key worker - are thinking of selling the 25% share they bought in a two-bed, riverside flat in south London.
    "We've been living in lovely flat that normally would have been well beyond our means, but the downsides have been huge. The association has shown almost no interest in problems with the property or the residents.

"None of the key workers has a good word to say about the housing association - we all feel they have left us on our own to deal with problems as if we owned the whole flat - even though they own most of it and we pay them rent."

The pair, who don't wish to be identified, also say they were unaware that they would have to pay all the associated costs that go with occupation - even though they only own a quarter.

"I suspect that we paid slightly over the odds in the first place, although I can't be sure. I don't think it has gone up in value over the past three years. Once you add up the rent, the mortgage and the service charges, we are paying more than £1,100 a month, which isn't exactly cheap."

The main problem with shared ownership, he says, is that most people doing it simply can't afford to buy a bigger stake. "If they could, they wouldn't be buying shared ownership in the first place."

He suggests that the other fundamental flaw is that almost all the properties are one or two bed flats. "Many couples who moved in were childless. Several years on, everyone needs to move as they have had children. The fact there are very few three-bed houses on offer means that shared ownership schemes are simply delaying the exodus of key workers out of London by a few years," he adds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/oct/20/moneysupplement.firsttimebuyers

9k=
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Orpheo wrote: »
    Not exactly. Those on HB may not be debtors and they may not be unemployed. HB/LHA is a filthy betrayal of both taxpayers and those who need it as it props up rent and house prices by handing public funds to private landlords.

Both SMI (where SMI>mortgage interest) and HB potentially allow someone to buy private property with public money.

SMI is less than the mortgage interest payable for more than half the claimants, so that argument is out the window. A few years ago it was a different story, but certainly not now.

Not everyone on SMI is unemployed, in the case of a family one of the partners may be working up to 24 hours and still qualify. Furthermore, in order to have qualified for a mortgage in the first place the great majority of those on SMI would have been working, there is no such requirement for those in rented accom.

Best to check your facts first?
    Gone ... or have I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family