'What religion are you?' poll discussion

Comments

• stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    emidee wrote: »
    Anyone else think option A is a bit hypocritical?!

No.
    Most football fans don't hold season tickets.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Clicked other as I'm pagan.

I'm a practicing witch, I belong to an online covern, I grew up in a household practicing voodoo.

Quite frankly I don't give a monkeys what some backward thinking religious bloke thinks. But then again I don't really like being told what to do, probably why I'm still just an analyst.:D

The world has moved on from catholicism to being more inclusive, more personal when it comes to religion. Most people now have a personal relationship with their god(s) that the catholic faith doesn't really represent anymore.

Gx
    Mortgage at 08/10/10: 110k:eek:
    Current Mortgage:... £109,200 :eek:
    OPs 2011: 100.50/4000
    Current MFD: 02/10/45 :shocked: (will be 63!!!)

Make a payment a week challenge TW 100/123.79
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2010 at 2:10PM
    Interesting debate about the term 'atheist'. I personally class myself as atheist and do not subscribe to the clap trap about not being able to prove a negative so you can't be atheist. I am not agnostic as I don't have a lingering doubt over the existence of a 'god' so therefore I must be atheist.

However, just because I do not believe in a god does not mean I despise or in any other way belittle those who do. For me, religion is a very personal thing and is not something that one can be told "you are such and such a religion and you will believe this". It is for the individual to find him or herself whether they wish to believe in an all powerful being (godlike) and whether they want that being in their lives.

My own way of life is to treat people with respect unless they disrespect me. I will go out of my way to help other human beings and animals (currently looking a cat that is not treated properly by its owners). I am not a saint (in the religious or otherwise aspect), I am human and make mistakes. I accept and learn from those mistakes and strive to be better (by my rule set).

Oh, I'm not humanist either, in case anybody thinks I could be labelled as such. I happen to have a belief in supernature but only because it hasn't yet been explained in a scientific manner :)

Take care.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • Pastafarian.

All praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi folks - to those asking why x or y wasn't included

We focused on the top relgions/beliefs by population in the UK - then included an 'other' category.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Hi folks - to those asking why x or y wasn't included

We focused on the top relgions/beliefs by population in the UK - then included an 'other' category.
    Is there any particular reason why you are interested at all?
    - GL
  • Silv3r_2
    Silv3r_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 22 September 2010 at 4:45PM
    Man has always known that there is a 'higher spiritual being' from day 1
    God created man in his own image and gave us rules by which to abide by.
    Man disobeyed and was all but wiped out (even the man-made religions inclusive of the Catholic one go along with this).
    God (his name maybe in English) got around to once again giving man a 'way out' from destruction by sending part of himself (Jesus) to die for us as opposed to wiping the whole earth once more.
    Believe he died for your own many rotten self sins and at least try daily to change our ways... asking forgiveness from him (Jesus as he himself said that there was only ONE mediator between he and God his father and that was through him, NO one else contrary to what some man-mad religions have said since) and reading his book (Bible) and praying.
    The ''non believers'' in their quieter moments KNOW that there is a 'God'
    The book says something like 'it's a fool that says there is no God.'
    It also says After Death.... The Judgement.

This next time he's coming with a Strong hand ... not as some meek forgiving person as in the Book of John.... and it'll all kick off there in Jerusalem, summit to do with The Temple which is buried beneath that moslem mosque. :A
    Big Bang ... would be a destructive, ever increasing bad thing so no way a 'creator' would use that method as he'd create it 'all' perfect and we still have sludge with one-cell organisms which do not multiply and jump to animal life... ever.
    Please bear in mind that many, many scientists actually believe in God/Jesus and know about said silly ideas about Darwin and his 'hypothisis' (guess-work to you and I) and see it as folly.
    Darwin himself got back around to believing in God on his own death bed.
    Acht, i'm getting boring now so I'll shut up.

ps; remember 'Christianity as written in that book ... is a way of life ... NOT religion as main churches teach ...

Sleep well :rotfl:

I've said my bit ;) (no slight intended, don't get all mad with me)
  • All praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Pastafarian.

I too have been touched by His Noodly Appendage.
  • Wow, awesome response, what a rebellious bunch of heathens we have become. You need to know that the humble Galilean carpenter who swung a hammer with his Dad in the heat of the Middle Eastern sun, became an itinerant preacher, made friends with social outcasts, enjoyed parties and was hated by the popular religious crowd of the day is exactly who he said he was. You need to consider that Jesus Christ did what he said he came to do, he told the truth and is not the liar and blasphemer his murderers would have you believe. Cruel hoaxer or God entered into human history, your call.
  • Wasn't sure whether to define myself as 'not practising' or Atheist. First implies I have a religion but don't bother with it. Atheist feels like a religious definition, as if you have to 'believe in' there not being a God. Not very comfortable being defined within a religious framework, if you see what I mean. Rather say I do not have any religious beliefs, that's all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure