PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

MealPlans WB 5th December 2008

Comments

• gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    MrsMcK wrote: »
    Hello,

Gingin how do you make acapulco chicken?

It's along the same lines as a beef chilli, so I fry onion, garlic in a pan. Add cumin and chilli powder, then some chopped up chicken. Then a bit of tomato puree, a tin of tomatoes and a small amount of stock, and also a teaspoon of oregano. I add whatever veggies I have, as it is a good way of using them up, peppers and mushrooms are my fave. I also add a tin of kidney beans, but have used chickpeas in the past too.

Sorry I don't have an official recipe, I modified the original so much, but if you make your favourite beef chilli recipe and use chicken instead, and perhaps cook it for a little bit less, it is kind of the same.

It's nice and healthy, and yum with rice and salad and a blob of sour cream/creme fraiche. :):)
  • Here's mine :j Penny. x

Thursday – beef stovies with HG veg

Friday – DH’s Christmas meal – start with cocktails, finish with make-your-own Eton Mess :T :j

Saturday – soup, HM bread, cheese, fruit
    I’m singing at York Minster, so we’re being fed by friends who are joining my family in the audience. I’m taking an apple braid as pudding :D

Sunday – lunch as Saturday
    Roast something (DH will decide at the butcher), roast potatoes, HG veg, Yorkshire puddings

Monday – smoked salmon quiche, salad

Tuesday – my Christmas lunch (pork and apple stack, Christmas pudding and brandy sauce, mince pies and chocolates, maybe a glass or two :beer: ); pasta and something for everyone else for supper :p

Wednesday – spaghetti bolognaise – made by DS in food tech

I’m planning to make a fruit cake, coffee cake, mushroom buns, apple pie, apple braid, and some cookies.
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Friday - fish and HM spicy potato wedges (DD quorn dippers)
    Saturday - HM pizza
    Sunday - spaghetti with HM pesto
    Monday - saag aloo (freezer)
    Tuesday - goulash (DD quorn burger)
    Wednesday - scouse for the adults, potato stew for DD - both freezer
    Thursday - pasta e fagioli (also known as bean stew with pasta) - with chorizo for the meat-eating adults

Baking - cheddar and apple scones, coconut loaf, HM sausage and stuffing rolls (with a vegetarian version for DD), polenta biscuits.
  • Friday: Home made winter veg soup with bread rolls
    Saturday: leek and cheese crumble with roast potatoes
    Sunday: Jacket potatoes and tuna mayo
    Monday: veggie cottage pie
    Tuesday: Out running a society at the students union so I eat there.
    Wednesday: Pasta with pesto and cheese
    Thursday: Pizza

Breakfast will be either cereal or toasted fruit loaf with margarine. Lunches will be sandwiches or salads.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    hmmm i tend to cook the pasta, make my cheese sauce (not necessarily in that order tho!) mix the two together, sprinkle more cheese on top then grill for 5 mins just to get the browned cheesiness.

hth

There are lots of ways to make a macaroni cheese - below is one I picked up from this site and I really like it:

(quote)
    My Mum's Macaroni Cheese
    Enough for 3/4

Short cut macaroni, or any other pasta shapes, cooked as per packet instructions. Drain, run under cold water to prevent sticking, drain well. (about 8-12 oz)
    Approx 8 oz mature cheddar grated
    2 eggs beaten with milk - make up to about 1/2 pint
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper (add to egg/milk)
    Optional tsp of mustard (grainy/English, whatever you like - seems to bring out the flavour of the cheese).
    Butter/marg/spread approx 1/2 oz

In greased casserole dish, put in half of macaroni, add layer of grated cheese, add rest of macaroni, then rest of cheese. Pour over egg/milk mixture. Dot with knobs of butter or marg.
    Bake in oven for approx 30 mins at gas mark 6, 400F. 200C.
    Serve with salad. Crusty or buttered bread. Or for the real gannets, like my worst half, potato wedges or chips.
    Enjoy!

(unquote - apologies I did not note the original poster, but I am grateful for the recipe!)

Another interesting one is mixing the pasta with some previously warmed boursin (thin it a little with milk or white wine), then cover with grated cheese and bake.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • I’m planning to make a fruit cake, coffee cake, mushroom buns, apple pie, apple braid, and some cookies.

Please tell me what these are:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:......do you use magic mushrooms:confused::D :rotfl:

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Please tell me what these are:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:......do you use magic mushrooms:confused::D :rotfl:

PP
    xx

Sadly, no :rotfl: ;) They're a chocolate version of butterfly buns. They have a core removed (using apple corer) and are then decorated with chocolate buttercream and the core replaced - they look like upside down mushrooms with stalks. They were invented by my mother for our birthday parties in the 1960s :D When I make them, I'll take a photo so that you can see what I mean :cool:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Please tell me what these are:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:......do you use magic mushrooms:confused::D :rotfl:

PP
    xx

I wondered whether they were sweet or savory!!! :confused:
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's interesting Pen Pen - we have a similar 'mushroom cake', which is a basic sponge, top half covered in melted chocolate, bottom half covered in marzipan, with a marzipan stalk. As far as I am aware, these were invented by my grandmother, back when Time was a young boy and have been in our family ever since. They are THE birthday cake of choice.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Oooh i love this thread! Every week i write our meal plan and stick it up on the fridge. I will have to post our weekly menu on Monday when i next compile it. Brill thread and its really interesting getting a glimpse into what other people are cooking for themselves and their families :D
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family