Is there any way to tax a car without a log book?

Hello

A friend at work has a nice little Golf for sale I want to buy as a run around it has an MOT and my insurance company will reduce my premium (shocked) if I switch cars. Trouble is it isn't taxed and he has lost the log book. Is there any way to tax it and inform the DVLA of change of owner at the same time?

I know I can request a log book and wait for that to arrive but I could do with a reliable car ASAP.

Many thanks

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Has he got the tax reminder ? If so you could do it online without the V5
  • Just asked him, the car is still registed at his old address a few hundred miles away so no chance of getting the reminder.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You cannot tax it and notify change of ownership at the same time.

Two options for you would be:

Ask your friend to apply for a duplicate log book, when it arrives, complete it as selling it to you and then use the green new keeper supplement part to tax it at the Post Office.

Apply for the log book yourself and when it arrives tax it on line or at the Post Office - but it can take weeks for the log book to arrive as they may write to the previous keeper before issuing it and wait for a reply.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Taxing without a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement

If you’re shown as the registered keeper of the vehicle on DVLA records, you can tax in person or by post at your nearest DVLA local office.

You’ll need to complete a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) which must be accompanied by £25 (fee for a duplicate Registration Certificate). Include this with a completed V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’, MOT, insurance and payment for vehicle tax.

If your address has changed, you’ll need to provide your driving licence, original bank or building society statement or recent utility bill. If your name has changed, you need to provide your marriage certificate, decree nisi, decree absolute or deed poll.

If you’re not shown as the registered keeper on DVLA records you cannot tax the vehicle. You’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name. To get one, fill in form V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate’ and post to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD. You may have to wait up to four weeks for a new certificate to arrive. In the meantime, you should keep your vehicle off the road.
    You cannot but the current keeper can.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    You cannot tax it and notify change of ownership at the same time.

Two options for you would be:

Ask your friend to apply for a duplicate log book, when it arrives, complete it as selling it to you and then use the green new keeper supplement part to tax it at the Post Office.

Apply for the log book yourself and when it arrives tax it on line or at the Post Office - but it can take weeks for the log book to arrive as they may write to the previous keeper before issuing it and wait for a reply.

Before doing this tell current keeper to notify DVLA in writing of a change of keeper, other wise he may get fined for failing to notify DVLA.

Easiest and quickest method is for him to pay £25 for a new logbook, which could take a few weeks to arrive.

You will need proof of insurance covering the car before they will issue tax disc.

Presumably the car is SORN at the moment and off road?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure