New mattress but what type ?

In the market for a new bed,found one I like,that's the easy bit but what about the mattress....there's so much choice these days ?

I was thinking of going for memory foam but you can get this with different bases ie an ordinary foam base or pocket spung ( more expensive )

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated

Comments

• nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    i've got a memory foam topped matress with pocket sprung ,it's great
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Tim :D will give you great advice .

He thinks I paid too much in the wrong shop .
    But my Vi sprung from Furniture Village makes me sleep like a log!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    The most common memory foam mattresses on the market are the reflex foam and memory foam type. However the reason they are the most common is because any idiot can make one, and therefore loads of companies have sprung up to jump on the memory foam band wagon. All they do is take a slab of reflex foam, then glue a layer of memory foam to it. Most of them then vacuum pack and roll them up to make them cheap to transport. there are also quite a few imports from China that don't meet European standards, and should be avoided.

Then there are the open coil sprung with memory foam type. This type give equal support to the reflex/memory foam type, but are much cooler due to the fact that air can circulate through the spring layer, and dissipate the heat from the memory foam.

The best type for support are the pocket sprung with memory foam type, as the pocket springs will contour to your body, and then the memory foam will actually mould to your shape giving even support without causing pressure points. With this type of mattress you have to be very careful, as there are quite a few on the market that contain the reflex foam encapsulated type of pocket springs. These springs are usually smaller than the full size steel pocket springs, and are inferior as far as support goes. I have even seen them with plastic or even foam springs. As long as you go for one with full size steel pocket springs, then air should be able to circulate through the spring layer.

Most memory foam mattresses on the market are non turn, and they will tell you that this is for your convenience. This is actually complete rubbish, and the real reason is because the memory foam is the most expensive part of the mattress. Non turn mattresses won't last as long as a two sided turnable mattress, especially if they contain pocket springs. But there are two sided pocket sprung/memory foam mattresses on the market.

The memory foam layer should be between 2" and 2.5" deep (2" if you don't like to be too warm in bed), and the optimum density should be between 60 and 70kg per m3.

Some memory foam mattresses come with an option of climate control fabrics like Climasmart or Outlast, that help to regulate the temperature.

Make sure you buy from a seller who gives a satisfaction guarantee, as it will be in their interest to make sure that you make the right purchase the first time.

Stay well away from the big brand names, and the big chain stores, then you will get far more for your money.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for that in depth reply Tim.Are you in the mattress business ?

I was only discussing this with a neighbour earlier who said him and his missus bought a fully foam type memory foam mattresss and he hated it.Reckons it gave him a bad back and the heat was unbearable.
    Also it lasted abour 5 years and by then had lost its support and shape.

So,I'm definitely inclined to go the pocket sprung way
  • Tim_Deegan
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    Thanks for that in depth reply Tim.Are you in the mattress business ?

I was only discussing this with a neighbour earlier who said him and his missus bought a fully foam type memory foam mattresss and he hated it.Reckons it gave him a bad back and the heat was unbearable.
    Also it lasted abour 5 years and by then had lost its support and shape.

So,I'm definitely inclined to go the pocket sprung way

Yes I am in the business, but I'm not on here to sell.
  • Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes i've subsequently discovered that by wading thru that huge mattress thread above.

About the pocket springs,I've been looking on Ebay and they don't seem to tell you if the springs are steel or in foam or whatever.
    It's very difficult to know what is good or not to the uninitiated buyer
  • Tim_Deegan
    Yes i've subsequently discovered that by wading thru that huge mattress thread above.

About the pocket springs,I've been looking on Ebay and they don't seem to tell you if the springs are steel or in foam or whatever.
    It's very difficult to know what is good or not to the uninitiated buyer

Unfortunately some sellers don't disclose this information. Which ones were you looking at?
  • Tim_Deegan

You are right.

It is a non turn mattress that won't last as long as a two sided one, but like you said it does appear to be too cheap to have full size steel pocket springs. Also it doesn't say the depth or the density of the memory foam.
  • wilbert_2
    wilbert_2 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Im also looking for a new mattress and seen argos have a half price sale on, are either of these any good? Or if not is there one someone can recommend for under £250? Thanks!

Silentnight Adelaide Trizone
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6596965/gotoTab/reviews.htm

Airsprung Cranmore Trizone Luxfirm Double Mattress

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6945877.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family