hate it when people are shocked

15678911»

Comments

• gfplux wrote: »
    Well done midlander, support, support to you. Good new only £3000 until 18 months then no interest. Well done lots of support, sorry you think the facts get in the way of support.
    18 months ...... April 2016. Support.

This is bizarre?? Why are you even bothering to post on this board if your sole intention is to inform people of their financial failings?? I think that most of us already know!!

I also said that It would take 30 months...... where did the 18 months come from??
  • I fully understand that no one intentially gets themselves into these situations. Sometimes they are bad choices or moments of madness or circumstances put them in those situations.

My mum never liked debt and always warned me against it. Yet I still went mental and spent almost £5000.00 on a credit card in one year. If I hadn't changed my situation I could easily have gotten into a lot lot worse debt.

You are very lucky Midlander to have a joint income of 70k a year. Is there any way you and your partner could clear your debts quicker by cutting back a little harder?

I have a lot of commitments which makes paying my debts off and my saving so difficult. This site really has inspired me by showing me ways I can make extra money. Whether this is through No Spend Days, Selling things I don't need, Using vouchers etc.

Sometimes it is a really good idea just to sit down and look at what you spend money on. For example, I used to like having a McD's breakfast every morning before work. This was bad for my weightloss and financially cost me £15-£20 a week depending on what I had. Over a month that is £87.00 and yearly £1040.00! £4.00 doesnt seem much but when you work it all out, it soon adds up.

To get back on topic though, I think it is better not to concentrate on what people think and focus more on getting debt free. Every single person will have an opinion on your situation. Asking them to voice it means there will always be things you won't want to hear or that will appear unsupportive.

I highly recommend a Debt Free Diary and keep working towards that Debt Free Date :)

Good Luck

October xx
  • I fully understand that no one intentially gets themselves into these situations. Sometimes they are bad choices or moments of madness or circumstances put them in those situations.

My mum never liked debt and always warned me against it. Yet I still went mental and spent almost £5000.00 on a credit card in one year. If I hadn't changed my situation I could easily have gotten into a lot lot worse debt.

You are very lucky Midlander to have a joint income of 70k a year. Is there any way you and your partner could clear your debts quicker by cutting back a little harder?

I have a lot of commitments which makes paying my debts off and my saving so difficult. This site really has inspired me by showing me ways I can make extra money. Whether this is through No Spend Days, Selling things I don't need, Using vouchers etc.

Sometimes it is a really good idea just to sit down and look at what you spend money on. For example, I used to like having a McD's breakfast every morning before work. This was bad for my weightloss and financially cost me £15-£20 a week depending on what I had. Over a month that is £87.00 and yearly £1040.00! £4.00 doesnt seem much but when you work it all out, it soon adds up.

To get back on topic though, I think it is better not to concentrate on what people think and focus more on getting debt free. Every single person will have an opinion on your situation. Asking them to voice it means there will always be things you won't want to hear or that will appear unsupportive.

I highly recommend a Debt Free Diary and keep working towards that Debt Free Date :)

Good Luck

October xx

*whispers* from the threads I have read of his, Midlander81 is doing just that- working very hard to cut back and reduce his debt ;)

Of course it is better to focus on the task in hand rather than dwell on other peoples' opinions but the two things are not mutually exclusive? Sheesh, I am I obsessively working to reduce ours and it does become a bit all-consuming. Only natural to ponder other related things about the journey and ask for thoughts on them, no?

Just because the OP asked a question about other peoples' perceptions doesn't mean by default that he doesn't think his debt is a problem, or isn't working hard to resolve it.

Sorry to quote your post October, there are others that have said/implied just the same.
    Total Starting Debt August 2014- £38,061
    Current Debt- £3600

Mortgage Offset Savings- £600
    90.5% paid off so far...

Good Luck

October xx

Thanks for posting. We have already cut right back and we are committed to cutting back further wherever possible. We are also working on building up a small emergency fund.

I expected a mixture of responses and knew that not everyone would see things in the same way. I have absolutely no issue with people who have been direct regarding my debt level being high. The issue I have is the one or two posts that are overly critical and judgemental
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 October 2014 at 8:42PM
    *whispers* from the threads I have read of his, Midlander81 is doing just that- working very hard to cut back and reduce his debt ;)

Of course it is better to focus on the task in hand rather than dwell on other peoples' opinions but the two things are not mutually exclusive? Sheesh, I am I obsessively working to reduce ours and it does become a bit all-consuming. Only natural to ponder other related things about the journey and ask for thoughts on them, no?

Just because the OP asked a question about other peoples' perceptions doesn't mean by default that he doesn't think his debt is a problem, or isn't working hard to resolve it.

Sorry to quote your post October, there are others that have said/implied just the same.

I agree. Sometimes all the research you can arm yourself with is a good thing. It becomes very interesting and you get to see the bigger picture.

I think Midlander's questions are good talking points.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • *whispers* from the threads I have read of his, Midlander81 is doing just that- working very hard to cut back and reduce his debt ;)

Thanks Pinkpoppies!

Been a little annoyed at some of the posts over last couple of days.
  • *whispers* from the threads I have read of his, Midlander81 is doing just that- working very hard to cut back and reduce his debt ;)

Hi :wave:

Still new to this part of the forum so don't know Midlander's position. Just a few suggestions to try and be helpful as I was completely oblivious to spending until I started my journey recently.

Also wanted to try and take the thread back to a more positive, pro active place as I agree some of the posts were quite shocking and the first I have encountered on this forum.
    Thanks for posting. We have already cut right back and we are committed to cutting back further wherever possible. We are also working on building up a small emergency fund.

I expected a mixture of responses and knew that not everyone would see things in the same way. I have absolutely no issue with people who have been direct regarding my debt level being high. The issue I have is the one or two posts that are overly critical and judgemental.

Great to hear you are working hard and I was sorry to hear some of the negativity. Have you seen the challenges? I have recently joined the Emergency fund one as it's a no time limit challenge so you are just working towards a goal.

I really love these forums and definitely don't want to offend anyone. Good luck with your goals.

October xx
  • kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We have 44k of debt and have a combined income of 32k, I don't think it's normal but I have seen a few people with same figures or higher xx
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    It sounds very high to me but I don't earn anywhere near £70k.

Whenever I have debt I try to pay it off as quickly as possible. I just got a new car for work in April where I owed £18k and I now owe £7k on it.

My salary has been £16k so £18k debt is really excessive considering what I've been earning, but I already had £8k saved up so that has all gone towards paying off the car. I am now qualified in my new job and will be earning closer to £30k so should be able to pay the car off quickly.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family