NHS Dentist exempt from payment with ESA?

Hi

I have just been to my nhs dentist , i was asked if i was exempt from payment as said i think so i claim emplyoment support allwence, she said "thats not on the form do you claim jsa?" i said no but i didnt have to pay last year while claiming esa, she just said well its not on the forms so i will have to charge you unless you can prove you dont have to pay?

so i have just had to pay £52 in total which including polish and clean.

I was just wondering if anybody could confirm if im expempt or not?

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,073 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    That sounds right, but £52 isn't an NHS charge. Was something (The hygienist visit?) private?

If you're on a low income, then filling out a HC1 form (Get it from dentist or Post Office) might give you a full or partial exemption certificate. It's means tested.

If you do get one, then you could claim back some or all of the NHS component of that last charge by sending off the receipt.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it income based or contributions based? The former entitles you to help with health costs and the latter doesn't.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • If you are on Income Based ESA you do not have to pay for NHS treatment, a copy of the letter from the Department of Work and Pensions is classed as 'proof' - And actually it IS on the form, or at least it is at my dentists.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have an appointment next week and i asked them if it was accepted, she just told me to bring the form with me.

I have encountered this before though, at the hospital pharmacy-they didn't have ESA on the form (nor did they seem to know what it was), luckily i had the letter with me and the guy did something to the form so i could get it free.

Did you get a recipt?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I think the issue is that ESA is relatively new (although it's been around for 2? years) in terms of forms, they order them in such bulk that they've not used up the old ones!
  • pwales_2
    pwales_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    you shouls have a small plastic card for nhs exeption just show them that.... i do and dont pay a penny
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pwales wrote: »
    you shouls have a small plastic card for nhs exeption just show them that.... i do and dont pay a penny

The card you're talking about, you only get with tax credits. Those of us on income-based out of work benefits, have to show our award letters.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • im not sure weather im on income based esa or not what is the diffrence?
  • im not sure weather im on income based esa or not what is the diffrence?

Don't quote me as gospel, but I believe that contributions based is because you have paid enough national insurance contributions to reclaim from that, income based is if you haven't.

Whichever, it will be stated on the letters you get which you might as well dig out as you will need them to reclaim your money if you are eligible.
  • :think:Hello
    I am new, just thought I would say, you could telephone the Jobcentreplus and press the number for ESA and ask them to send out a letter showing your entitlement to income based ESA, if the person says you are not on income based you will be told this.Some of the letters from DWP are not very clearly written and it might not actually say if you are on contriubutions based or income based ESA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure