Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 14th Oct 16, 11:48 PM
    • 4,621Posts
    • 3,622Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    Hilda's off to meet Stan
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:48 PM
    Hilda's off to meet Stan 14th Oct 16 at 11:48 PM
    Not normally one to post or react to celebrity deaths, but RIP Jean Alexander.
Page 1
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 14th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    • 1,922 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:58 PM
    Oh how sad. RIP.

Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 14th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    minimad1970
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 14th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    That's sad news, but to be honest I thought she was already dead
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 15th Oct 16, 12:12 AM
    • 12,685 Posts
    • 49,135 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:12 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:12 AM
    R.I.P and thanks for the laughs.

In Last of the Summer Wine

and in Corrie (along side a few tears)
    Farewell to a great character actress.

Save
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
    • tommix
    • By tommix 15th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 32,956 Posts
    • 135,279 Thanks
    tommix
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    RIP Chuck..

• usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 15th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    RIP Jean Alexander
    • 15th Oct 16, 8:32 AM
    That scene where she opens Stans spectacle case after his death is still powerful today. We will not see her like again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3839036/Coronation-Street-actress-Jean-Alexander-dies-aged-90-Star-played-Hilda-Ogden-passes-away-hospital-three-days-celebrating-milestone-birthday.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhp1J0Usng
    Last edited by usefulmale; 15-10-2016 at 8:37 AM.
    Originally Posted by MSE Forum Team
    We’ve had to remove your signature because what you wrote was true and sensible and there's no room for that here.
    • pondskater
    • By pondskater 15th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    pondskater
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 15th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    Great actress, loved her in Last of the Summer Wine too... RIP
    Haters are gonna hate - you're not obliged to participate
    • effervescing elephant
    • By effervescing elephant 15th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    effervescing elephant
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 12:00 PM
    That's sad news, but to be honest I thought she was already dead
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    She was rumoured to have died several times, when she was in fact still alive!
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 15th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 22,128 Posts
    • 55,117 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 15th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    Has Corrie ever killed off her character? I remember that she left to go and be a housekeeper to her doctor friend. It would be lovely if we saw Kevin Webster or Rita Sullivan go off to Hilda's funeral ...
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • codger
    • By codger 15th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 1,973 Thanks
    codger
    Jean was, absolutely, one of the best, an actress with a special comedic talent that seeped through but briefly in Coronation Street but was then snuffed out when the series passed its 10th birthday and plunged into the doldrums.

Enter, then, director / producer Bill Podmore, who arrived in Manchester (well, Salford, actually, given Granada's location just south of Deansgate) with an uncanny knack of knowing what works in TV and what doesn't. Poddy said life may very well be about ups and downs but fer Gawd's sakes, audiences don't tune in for the downs. Where there's Northern grit there's also Northern laughter. So let's have some.

Though all "his" cast adored him, three in particular were grateful for his arrival; Jean, who knew exactly how to immortalise Hilda as a character of endearing, vulnerable, daftness; Geoffrey Hughes, a previously unsuspected master of comic timing as Eddie Yates and, later, an essayer of perpetual comic frustration in Yorkshire TV's Heartbeat; and Bernard Youens, whose cut-glass English accent could never have been suspected from his seemingly ingrained Mancunian gruffness as Hilda's husband, Stan.

That unlikely quartet -- Jean, Geoff, Bernard and Poddy -- were in their special way as much integral to the Street's ratings domination in the 70s as Violet Carson and Pat Phoenix were to its astonishing popularity in the 60s. And all owed a debt of gratitude to the exceptional talents of writer John Stevenson.

With Jean's death, that quartet is now just a memory, and though my closest friend was the much-missed Bill Podmore, I nevertheless remember the others with great fondness -- and remember, too, the real-life friendship of Jean and Bernard, a fact which, though unknown to audiences, made her performance in the episode about Stan's death almost unbearable in its controlled, not contrived, hurting rawness.

Thanks, then, to Usefulmale at post #6 for the reminder of that, to everyone else on here who has been good enough to speak so kindly of Jean, and especially to tommix at post #5 who really couldn't have put it better:

RIP, chuck. (Oh, and don't forget to look at that muriel on't back of St Peter's gate: could do with a proper dusting.)
    • libra10
    • By libra10 15th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 8,635 Posts
    • 130,223 Thanks
    libra10
    Well said codger, 'Hilda' will be sadly missed.
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 15th Oct 16, 5:25 PM
    • 112,417 Posts
    • 226,218 Thanks
    Quasar
    I remember her as avaricious Aunty Wainwright in Last of the Summer Wine. RIP Jean, and thanks for all the laughs.
    Drunk people, children and leggings always tell the truth.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 46,436 Posts
    • 127,168 Thanks
    colinw
    I just saw some clips of Hilda on The News. She really was a class actress and a very cultured woman apparently. A reminder of how good Coronation Street used to be as well.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 15th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 6,816 Posts
    • 14,652 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I was very sad to hear of her death - I hope it was peaceful. I grew up with Hilda and Stan on TV every Monday and Wednesday, and they brought laughter and tears. They were a very talented couple, and no one has ever come close to replacing them.

RIP Jean x
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 15th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    prosaver
    best part ..women stan ...women

or at the end when he goes....shut up
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 15th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 3,858 Thanks
    prosaver
    just found this ..the washing story...
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 16th Oct 16, 10:35 AM
    • 9,660 Posts
    • 17,066 Thanks
    Running Horse
    Just about the only soap opera celeb I could ever imagine mourning.
    Proud to be filthier than anyone else.
    • Jamie11
    • By Jamie11 17th Oct 16, 11:16 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Jamie11
    Goodbye Hilda.
    Or Jean Alexander as she was known elsewhere.

A truly superb actress over many years. RIP

• Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 17th Oct 16, 1:20 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 3,828 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Farewell Chuck.

We loved watching you over many years in Coronation Street.

A true TV soap legend who will be missed by many.

RIP
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 17th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 12,441 Posts
    • 224,313 Thanks
    mattytun
    She was one of the best............RIP
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,699Posts Today

6,271Users online

Martin's Twitter