Nervous about moving away from big name supplier. Advise please.

Hi
My eon fixed rated ended about 6 weeks ago and want to change supplier but so nervous of moving away from one of the big well known ones.
I'm shocked as well how much standing charges vary. Are avro energy or octopus any good please?
I've listed my yearly energy if any one can help It would be very much appreciated.
Gas 11798kwh
Electricity 4399
On post code of PE12
After watching some of the show this week i must get it sorted.
Thank you in advance.
Things will get better day by day.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Avro feedback thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5367862&highlight=avro+feedback
    Octopus feedback thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5462811&highlight=octopus+feedback

I have not used these 2 companies but I have had shocking service from all the Big 6 companies in the past so size is not a judge of good service or fair prices either.
    With energy you are protected by OFGEM so if a supplier does go bankrupt then your gas/electric supply is safe as is any debit/credit on the account. OFGEM will appoint a supplier of last resort who will honour your tariff for the remainder of its fixed term.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2017 at 9:57AM
    Have a look at Zog for gas, through a comparison site. Their customer service is 1st class.
    (For your usage, would cost £368 for a 1 year fix or £386 per year for a 2 year fix. £30 exit fee.)

For Electric, we have found Iresa are OK, but make sure you read the sign up details, as they don't do anything during the 14 day cooling off period, take the first DD 3 days after the cooling off period has finished (before the supply switch date) and take a while to display meter readings in the account; but if you are patient they appear there eventually. Would not recommend Iresa for gas though, as people seem to have a lot of problems if they switch gas to Iresa.
    (For your usage, would cost £552 for a 1 year fix, no exit fee.)
  • Thank you gsminx. Who have you used or can recommended?
  • I'm with So and Zog. In both cases, the customer service has been excellent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March 2017 at 10:27AM
    @wannaberich41
    I use whoever is among the cheapest at the time I need to switch.
    But I avoid like the plague Scottish Power, British Gas, First Utility, SSE even if they are cheap. I've used 3 of those 4 and have been bitten too much by shoddy service to ever go back.

My current fixes from last year are with E.ON and Flow but neither would have have good prices if I switched to them today. Prior to that it was Daligas and npower but again not price competitive currently. All 4 have not been too bad service wise as I always provide monthly meter readings and track my bills and Direct Debits to ensure that I pay the correct amount. I'm proactive with utility bills.

So where I end up will depend on the price at the time I switch for my needs.
  • Thank you all for your help and advise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport