Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Sponsor a Child - which charity is best?

Comments

• novelli
    novelli Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thru some research when i was doing volunteeer work myself.
    tho by no means all are like this, u do have to be very careful who u are donating to, as there are some unscrupulous people out there.
    theres nothing worse than donating/supporting a charity only to find that their CEO is on hundreds of thousands of pounds a year salary and its not necessarily the children who benefit from your support!!
  • GiveItBack
    GiveItBack Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    I think we're going to have to disagree here. While I can understand that peope want their money to do good, trying to do everything on a shoestring is not the way to do it. It's a bi off topic, so maybe we should have another thread for it, but let's take Oxfam as an example. The CEO runing it gets around £90,000 a year, now she worked in the government before that, I think and wuold have taken a massive pay cut to do the job, but some people would argue that £90k is too much.

Oxfa is a massive multinational organisation though, employing thousands of staff and with a complex aims - how much is a good leader worth? If there was someone doing the job for low pay, I'll bet they wouldn't have the skils to do the job so well, and ultimately, if it doesn't run itself well it's the beneficiaries who are harmed.

But as I said, it's something for another thread really.
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
  • tigwell
    tigwell Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi Giveitback! I totally agree with you, an organisation needs to spend money on payroll. Although this needs to be tightly regulated so it is still beneficial! Oxfam in recent years had a trading review where they basically questioned whether the shops were earning enough money. They have now turned the business around and run the most profitable shops on the high street! As you say, probably down to spending a bit of cash on the CEO!
  • GiveItBack
    GiveItBack Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Thanks Tig. I was actually looking at the costs related to all of the charities mentioned above, and I'll bet they're not what people expect. Too busy to prep them and post them though
    for more info check out www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk . You'll find me there.
    New Year's Resolution: Post less unnecessary posts. (and that was 2007)

yes, I realise I may appear cold and heartless a lot of the time.
  • autismmum
    autismmum Posts: 444 Forumite
    dont they pay some to local churches.. some catholic recomend one and proestant reccomend another, i wish they are more open on who gets the profit from this as well as the child.
    totally debt free:j and mortgage free too 2010
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My brother sponsored a child for quite some years, unfortunately I cant recall which charity this was with but I'm sure it was one of the larger ones.

He eventually got so sick of the constant letters from the charity asking for either more money, or for him to consider sponsoring another child, that he decided he'd done his bit and withdrew his support completely.

I have to say that I have had a similar experience with other charitable donations. It would seem that once you are seen as a giver, then certain charities will hound you in the hope they can get more from you.

It's a bit like the CSA targetting Fathers who are already paying and leaving alone the ones who dont. :rolleyes:

I still give to charity, but only to certain ones and only in certain ways.

I realise the fund raisers are doing a commendable job, but I really feel they should reconsider some of their tactics.

Hopefully the OP will be able to find a source to give to which will combine giving whilst also ensuring peace for herself. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • oldtoolie
    oldtoolie Posts: 750 Forumite
    Well-run charities do as you ask regarding communications. If you let your charity know what you want -- annual review, newsletter, occasional appeal, or nothing -- they should follow through. If they don't -- find another charity. And if the charity is a member of the Fundraising Standards Board -- complain. www.frsb.org.uk

That said, if you do tell your charity not to remind you -- don't forget to give once in a while. :wink:

Larry Boyd
    Tools for Self Reliance
    www.tfsr.org

Thanks to MoneySaving Expert for supporting Tools for Self Reliance

(member of the Fundraising Standards Board)
  • elizaco
    elizaco Posts: 7 Forumite
    I have sponsored a Brazilian girl with Plan UK for just over a year now, and have had a few letters and drawings from her over that time. I pay £12 a month and as other posters have stated, the money supports the whole programme rather than just your child. When you begin sponsoring you can choose whether to sponsor a boy or girl and choose which continent you would prefer (or let them choose). They suggest you send no more than 4 letters a year and no more than 2 gifts. They have a catalogue which sells products for your sponsored child or gifts/cards for you to buy for yourself. I would recommend Plan UK from my own experience. I have 2 small daughters myself, and I think it is quite good to get them involved - they will often do little drawings to send, and it gets them interested in other parts of the world.
  • Lorne
    Lorne Posts: 770 Forumite
    I sponsor via worldvision, seems to work well although I do agree with some of the other posts regarding the amount of mail received asking for money for urgent appeals and invitations to sponsor other children. Having said that I've not received any in over a month which is good going.
    Thanks for the advice Martin! :money:
    Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Strange question in relation to this, but is it possible to sponsor/help a child in the UK? I do believe that many children live in desperate conditions in the UK and was interested if there was a way of helping them?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport