Top Cash ISAs Discussion Area

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    MigsyBigsy wrote: »
    The only option I have is the BM ISA Extra, as I cant open a Santander as I have old ISA cash nor can I open the Barclays as it wont allow transfers.
    There are several variable rate Cash ISAs that accept transfers and pay a similar or better rate than the Birmingham Midshires ISA Extra. See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=4603369&postcount=1

If you have not subscribed any of your 2009/10 allowance to your old ISA, you can transfer your old ISA (subject to any Ts & Cs) to a different provider AND open a new account, such as the A&L/Santander/Barclays ones for your 2009/10 allowance.
    Will there be new products coming out in the next couple of weeks or is this it?
    A local Principality branch has suggested that a new 30-day notice Cash ISA account will be announced during the last week of March but no other details were known.
  • Baldur
    You have it as number 2 in the list of top rate accounts.
    Who is 'you'? I certainly have no more to do with this site than you do.

The site has a journalistic 'bent', rather than being a definitive financial advisory service - as you will no doubt have noticed from some of the ridiculous 'Sun-type' headlines that appear on it from time to time.

If the articles were all-encompassing and totally accurate, there would probably be no need for these forums.
  • My apologies for sounding off as I did.
    Ive not been too happy with A&L in the past. You have to be very vigilant if you have an account with them or you will miss the best rates.
    Had to sound off to someone!!!!!
    I guess if you make things complicated enough you will fool a lot of people a lot of the time which is what it seems to be about these days.
    "Variable bonus".....ridiculous!
    Regards
  • Baldur
    My apologies for sounding off as I did.
    Ive not been too happy with A&L in the past. You have to be very vigilant if you have an account with them or you will miss the best rates.
    Had to sound off to someone!!!!!
    I guess if you make things complicated enough you will fool a lot of people a lot of the time which is what it seems to be about these days.
    "Variable bonus".....ridiculous!
    Regards
    No problem - I'm sure that many of us have experienced the same frustration with the mealy-mouthed 'blurb' put out by the likes of Abbey/A&L/Santander's marketing departments

The 'variable bonus' and variable underlying rate ploy has been around for at least a year in their Direct ISA products, from memory, as I certainly recall pointing it out in previous posts.
  • MigsyBigsy
    MigsyBigsy Posts: 188
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Baldur wrote: »
    There are several variable rate Cash ISAs that accept transfers and pay a similar or better rate than the Birmingham Midshires ISA Extra. See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=4603369&postcount=1

If you have not subscribed any of your 2009/10 allowance to your old ISA, you can transfer your old ISA (subject to any Ts & Cs) to a different provider AND open a new account, such as the A&L/Santander/Barclays ones for your 2009/10 allowance.

A local Principality branch has suggested that a new 30-day notice Cash ISA account will be announced during the last week of March but no other details were known.

thank you. I have read the list, but dont understand what the term "new money" means. I have around £10,700 from previous Isa's. I would have thought that it is better to have the whole ISA amount into one ISA and not start with a new amount?

Not sure if that makes sense..
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,394
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MigsyBigsy wrote: »
    thank you. I have read the list, but dont understand what the term "new money" means. I have around £10,700 from previous Isa's. I would have thought that it is better to have the whole ISA amount into one ISA and not start with a new amount?

New money is just money that wasn't already in an ISA - i.e. not money you're transferring in from another ISA.

Whether it's better to have it all in one place? - depends on your situation. You might want to have some at a fixed rate, tied up for two or three years or longer, and some in a more flexible ISA so that you can access it without penalty if you need it. Or you might have an emergency fund elsewhere, in which case it might well be best to have the whole lot in one place, making as much interest as you can get.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Hi, my A&L transfer paperwork turned up and it is a transfer form as I am looking to move my ISA from Halifax to A&L. I also got an online login and password with it. No where on the paperwork does it ask for a date that the transfer should be made on, as I want to ensure it is not moved before the Halifax "agreed end date" of last years ISA.

I worry if I handwrite this on there that it may not get picked up or actioned, has anyone else who's moving their ISA to A&L done this at all?
  • Baldur
    Summer01 wrote: »
    I worry if I handwrite this on there that it may not get picked up or actioned, has anyone else who's moving their ISA to A&L done this at all?
    I have certainly done so in the past when transferring maturing FRISAs to A&L/Abbey. Ensure that your instruction to transfer the ISA 'ON MATURITY' is written clearly on the transfer form and, to be doubly sure, also write a letter to Halifax stating your instruction - they are the ones who act on your instruction about when the transfer should take place.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Hi Baldur, thanks I will write to Halifax aswell. When I send the transfer forms off to A&L I will also either take a copy or scan them.
  • Hi should I transfer 5,100 into A&L account which already has 3,600 in it or will it be a low rate as I've already had it for a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure