PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

instant porridge flavourings suggestions pls

Comments

• pablakeman wrote: »
    Squeezy honey should be easy enough for you to take along to work with you? Otherwise like others have said dried fruit and nuts are good, depending on what you like/how healthy you want it to be.

I am trying to lose weight atm but I am wondering how good nutella/choc spread would be with porridge!

Pablakeman - I have nutella in my porridge with raisins and hazelnuts - it's delish :)

Other favourite toppings are:

Dates, pecans and honey
    Dried cranberries/cherries with flaked almonds
    Cinnamon, dried apple and hazelnuts
    Any pack of Yu! fruit pieces, stirred until they kinda melt

C
    Saving for a Deposit TOTAL: £17,365 (18%)
    Amount Saved in April 2014: £2,000
  • Dried fruit, nuts and brown sugar are good. I kept a mini jar of jam at work that I topped up every few days. Cocoa is also good. You could add a couple of drops of flavouring essence to your oats if you make up small batches frequently. Most are alcohol based so shouldn't cause mould.

At Christmas I tried dried cranberries (big bag from £land) and a couple of chunks of white chocolate. Not healthy, but really good!
  • gsymoo
    gsymoo Posts: 133 Forumite
    I stew up manky apples (one slight bruise and my OH refuses to eat them!) with cinnamon and a bit of sugar and freeze it in ice cube trays. All I do is pop a cube with oats and water the night before. It also makes me nostalgic for when I had a freezer of cubes of babyfood!
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8575383_dry-honey.html

You may be able to replicate this in an oven at a low temperature if you don't have a dehydrator
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    When I ate porridge, I added Fructoligosaccharides FOS (sweetens but is a none digestible carbohydrate), yoghurt and lecithin which I enjoyed. If I ate it now I would added dessicated coconut and possibly coconut oil but not with yoghurt because the oil would destroy the bacteria.

Sweeteners such as Xylitol maybe. It's good for the teeth and gums.

Yoghurt probably won't work AT work but bacteria like porridge and break down the fibre which stimulates the immune system.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Drinking chocolate. :)
  • smithyjules
    smithyjules Posts: 497 Forumite
    My Hubby is doing Slimming World and adds a serving of options hot chocolate they do a whole range of flavours yummy!
  • For starters it is Porage, see the pack with the man in a skirt on it to check.
    scotts-porage-oats.jpg

Use real oats, these
    http://www.alford-windmill.co.uk/Products.html

Make as normal as you shave. Then add some curded Raspberry jam.

Sit down and enjoy.
  • My favourites are ground cinnamon, ground ginger and honey, or blackcurrant jam with dessicated coconut
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For starters it is Porage, see the pack with the man in a skirt on it to check.
    scotts-porage-oats.jpg

Use real oats, these
    http://www.alford-windmill.co.uk/Products.html

Make as normal as you shave. Then add some curded Raspberry jam.

Sit down and enjoy.

What an amazing mill! Of course for porridge you'll need these: http://www.morningfoods.com/products which are produced in Cheshire although sold on site, should anyone be close by in Lincolnshire.

Do you have a recipe for curded raspberry jam?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure