Chlorine eating my swimming costume

Comments

• winspiration
    winspiration Posts: 284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have found Speedo swimsuits to be fairly long lasting.

The thing that I have found most destructive to swimsuits is sitting in the jacuzzi - since avoiding that, my swimsuits last much longer!
  • Starlet
    Starlet Posts: 130 Forumite
    I dont know if this will be of help, but I specifically put my swimming costume in the washing machine after every visit.
    Personally, I just dont think that rinsing it with water will get ALL of the chlorine out, no matter how much you try. But that's just my own opinion
    :EasterBun
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Also to add I tend to shower with my suit on, partly for modesty reasons :) but also partly because it gives it a really good soaking and rinsing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Starlet wrote: »
    I specifically put my swimming costume in the washing machine after every visit.
    If that is for a proper wash with detergent rather than a rinse cycle then that will just shorten the life of your suit even more. Manufacturers recommendation is thorough rinse and only occasional wash.
  • AbbieCadabra
    AbbieCadabra Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i put mine in the washer on a rinse cycle every time it's used, never use any sort of soap/detergent on it. i also use the jacuzzi every time, can't say i've noticed any issues. perhaps the chlorine level in the spa/jacuzzi area is higher at some pools?
  • sec79
    sec79 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to just soak mine in cold water and rinse out but found my swimming costumes weren't lasting very long. I then switched to putting it in the washing machine as soon as I came home on a rinse cycle. Ever since I have done this my costumes (always Speedo) have lasted for well over 18 months and I go swimming 2-3 times a week.
  • s4mmy
    s4mmy Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    DD used to swim regularly (20 hours a week) and many of the swimmers wore speedo endurance costumes and they certainly lasted longer than the cheaper costumes.
    hth
  • I buy bra sized swimsuits out of necessity, usually Panache or Triumph, but find they don't always stand up to the chlorine so well. Thanks to the OP for bringing up the subject, and to the posters who've mentioned Zoggs. I'll check them out to see if they have anything that might suit me.
    From Starrystarrynight to Starrystarrynight1 and now I'm back...don't have a clue how!
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Interesting to read everyone's experiences and habits!

Although I always rinse my costume I know that doesn't remove all the chlorine and it's then left in my bag until I get home from work - I'm not really sure of a way round that.

However, I think I'll take up putting it through a rinse cycle as soon as I get home to see if that helps. Hopefully my new "chlorine resistant" suit will arrive soon and I can go swimming without saggy bits (on the suit at least :D).
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills