Is travel insurance compulsory?

Recently booked a holiday to Spain with Thomson. The agent said that insurance was compulsory and that since I didn't have my own she had to add on theirs. Needless to say I found a much cheaper one, and they did cancel my original policy although I suppose they had to since I was still in the 14 day cooling off period.

Is it true, however, that you must have insurance?

Comments

• herman2811
    herman2811 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    No, not at all... just helpful just in case.

Don't know why Thomson would say it's compulsory.... perhaps they were trying to scam you?!
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    No it's not compulsory, but some holiday companies insist you either take out theirs or make your own arrangement. I think the reason for this is that they don't want to be lumbered with somebody on one of their holidays who falls ill or as an accident and who cannot pay for any medical treatment .
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Hagar_uk
    Hagar_uk Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It is not compulsory, but highly recommended, if you really don't want to take it out at least get the Europe EHIC card (free) even with insurance you may need this
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Isn't it an offence to say that "their" insurance is compulsory?
  • When I used to work in a travel agents they gave us the scenario that if your bags were stolen or lost and you didn't have insurance then fair enough you may have money to buy your possesions again, its your responsibilty. But if you are mid air and have a heart attack, will you have money for the emergency redirection of the plane? And the delay to all other passengers?
    May be a lot of rubbish but at the time I thought it was a fair enough explanation
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • Amys
    Amys Posts: 919 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Its not compulosry and they can't say you have to have theirs, however, you are entering ointo a contract and it is possible that they can put in a term that you have to have *some* insurance, whoever it is with. Afterall, if sonmething happens and you do not have it they arer the ones who will have to help you when you are on location.
  • I am refused insurance because of a medical condition but I'm sometimes fit enough to go on holiday. Last year a travel company insisted I gave them an insurance reference number. So I bought the cheapest insurance I could get and didn't mention my medical condition. This reference kept the travel company happy.
    It's great to be ALIVE!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As far as I understand it they cannot force you to take THEIR policy.

I believe however they can insist that you have A policy.
    If you are taken ill or something happens and you are with a group then it could affect the entire group (or could affect them negative publicity wise if they just dump you).

Travelling without insurance is crazy IMO as you could be lumbered with BIG bills that could bankrupt you (£50,000 for a charter aircraft to repatriate you anyone?).

So they cannot insist that you take THEIR policy but they can refuse to take you without insurance.

Easiest solution is simply to get your own which is usually cheaper.
    An annual policy can work out cheapest if you do more than one holiday/trip per year.
    If you give them the details then they rarely give you any hassle.
  • brooney
    brooney Posts: 30 Forumite
    Thanks to everyone for their replies.
  • Annoracky I know but under the EU Package Travel Directive a travel organiser (like Tompson) is obligied to offer you a quote for travel insurance at "the earliest availble opportunity", however (importantly) you as the consumer are not obliged to take it

It has been illegal for travel agents to insist on, or package insurance like this since the Office of Fair Trading ruled against this practice in 1998
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure