samsung galaxy s2 and automatic updates

carebear13
carebear13 Posts: 402 Forumite
have just a phonecall from a very narky 3 advisor, he was trying to sell me an all you can eat data package as the samsung apparently updates software automatically even when the phone doesnt have the internet connection on, and that i will end up with a huge bill as it is using all my allowance. is that true?? the new deal i was looking at includes 500mb which tbh is enough for me, but now i'm not sure.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am pretty sure he was lying - like all other Three salesmen.
    I am pretty sure updates can be done over wifi or through a PC - and when you want to do this.
  • carebear13
    thats what i thought. i have an htc with every so often tries to do an update and i actually have to choose how to do it and whther to do it.
    we have a phones 4 u in town so think i will have a wander in and speak to someone(and have a play with the phone too ha ha.)
    thank you.
  • Mr_Yoda
    Mr_Yoda Posts: 147 Forumite
    You can turn off automatic updates. If you access the Play Store and then press settings it gives you the option of turning off 'Auto-update apps'. Alternatively you can update over wi-fi only.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,056
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you go into Google Play and select Settings you can set how you want updates to be done.

On my Galaxy S I have it set for Notifications to be advised to me but with updates via wifi only unless I select to update manually.

As far as phone software updates go, I do all these via Kies on my pc and have never been prompted to do it via a data link

The 3 advisor was talking a load of rubbish!
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    +1 for the above post. When updates arrive on my Galaxy I am asked whether I want to do them and can wait until I am in wifi contact if I wish. Sounds like a direct lie from the sales advisor or he needs to go for re-training!
  • carebear13
    thank you all so much - i knew he was bloody lying and he didnt like it when i questioned him, he was so rude. only 3 days to go and then i can give them notice to leave.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've had my S2 since Feb, on a contract with 500mb data, and I haven't come close to reaching my monthly limit yet, and I update 2 newspapers on mine to read nearly every day, as well as have a number of apps - all of which update only on demand. I've only used more than half of my data allocation once, cos I listened to 3 hour-long episodes of a radio drama on iPlayer over the phone on a long journey.

So your chap was telling GREAT big porky-pies
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure