IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help needed

Cbella38
Cbella38 Posts: 91 Forumite
edited 11 February 2017 at 8:30PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking

Please can you help .

My mom owns a car and has a named driver or drivers on the insurance.

Last October the driver took their daughter to have her college interview and parked in a Euro Parking car park and paid for their hours stay as they weren't going to be there long.

Now a bit of background on the driver

They have an ileostomy- so a stoma if your not aware of what it is and they have to wear bags and they have days where the bags can fill up so quickly without warning of fluid that they have to empty the bag because if they don't they risk burns to their skin and leaks.

Anyway on their way out of the college their bag filled up with fluid so have to do a detour to the toilet, sanitize the area as they are at high risk of infection ..empty the bag, clean up and then they left

by the time they got to the car it was 4 MINUTES over the ticket they had BOUGHT for the hour stay and had a parking warden telling them they were going to issue a ticket .

The driver told him reason they were a little late but he wasn't interested .

A few weeks later my mom got a letter went into mad panic but the driver said they are not paying it as they were only 4 minutes over for starters, have a condition that is beyond their control at times and things happen, and not gonna pay for a 2 hour stay when only going to be there an hour of that.

Anyway my mom insisted that the driver wrote to them so they did and enclosed the medical card, information about an ileostomy and also what the government say about parking "fines" and how we have a 10 minute grace period.

But they still won't have it anyway after advice we ignored any more letters but today my mom received a letter from a Solicitors called Gladstones Ltd saying they want to take it to court .

What should I do ?

It feel like the driver is being discriminated against all because they have something which they have to have and don't have control over and it's not like the driver couldn't be bothered to pay as they did pay for the stay.

Really need some sound advice

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    please edit the last post into paragraphs using the RETURN key, so people can actually READ IT instead of seeing a wall of text

like I have just done with this new sentence

that way you may get some help , which is unlikely given your current presentation
  • Not sure where the RETURN key is, have looked but using my mobile.

Sorry about the wall text, after all this is my first post and never posted before like this.
  • Redx
    Forumite
    I would assume its a NEW LINE key , or a TAB key on a mobile

you would be better off using a laptop for serious work like this , which is what I am using in order to try and help you
  • Unfortunately I don't have a laptop as it is broken.

So if there is an edit button then I will gladly change the format of the original text.
  • And I have pressed the + sign but the edit post is ghosted out
  • Redx
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2017 at 8:02PM
    Cbella38 wrote: »
    Please can you help .

My mom owns a car and has a named driver or drivers on the insurance.

Last October the driver took their daughter to have her college interview and parked in a Euro Parking car park and paid for their hours stay as they weren't going to be there long.

Now a bit of background on the driver

They have an ileostomy- so a stoma if your not aware of what it is and they have to wear bags and they have days where the bags can fill up so quickly without warning of fluid that they have to empty the bag because if they don't they risk burns to their skin and leaks.

Anyway on their way out of the college their bag filled up with fluid so have to do a detour to the toilet, sanitize the area as they are at high risk of infection ..empty the bag, clean up and then they left

by the time they got to the car it was 4 MINUTES over the ticket they had BOUGHT for the hour stay and had a parking warden telling them they were going to issue a ticket .

The driver told him reason they were a little late but he wasn't interested .

A few weeks later my mom got a letter went into mad panic but the driver said they are not paying it as they were only 4 minutes over for starters, have a condition that is beyond their control at times and things happen, and not gonna pay for a 2 hour stay when only going to be there an hour of that.

Anyway my mom insisted that the driver wrote to them so they did and enclosed the medical card, information about an ileostomy and also what the government say about parking "fines" and how we have a 10 minute grace period.

But they still won't have it anyway after advice we ignored any more letters but today my mom received a letter from a Solicitors called Gladstones Ltd saying they want to take it to court .

What should I do ?

It feel like the driver is being discriminated against all because they have something which they have to have and don't have control over and it's not like the driver couldn't be bothered to pay as they did pay for the stay.

Really need some sound advice :o

I have edited the opening post as shown above to remove all traces of who was driving and who has this condition , plus its not a "fine" , its an invoice

you should not be using the words "ME , MYSELF or I" on a public forum , anyone can read it including idiot parking companies and also Gladstones too

so the gist is that an appeal was made which fell on deaf ears and now Gladstones are involved , so its likely that Gladstones will issue a court case, but does not mean that they will win this court case because the GRACE PERIOD is allowed and any defence will rely on it

plus its possible a counter claim could be issued under the EA2010 for not allowing "reasonable adjustments" for a disabled person , as well

but the GRACE PERIODS and the honesty of paying for an hour should hopefully sway a judge in your favour

I would suggest you delete your opening post by editing all the content and removing it , and say see later post #7 below

or copy and paste my edited post above and paste into post #1

you can see how this works much better using a laptop ;)
  • Borrowed my friends computer .. now sorted - Thanks for your help.

Should this driver contact Gladstones or just leave things?
  • Redx
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2017 at 8:40PM
    the person who GLADSTONES wrote to should treat it as an LBC and write back disputing the claim , without revealing who was driving (although this fact may have been disclosed prior to today by whoever appealed in the first place)

GLADS WILL LIKELY IGNORE THIS AND ISSUE A COURT CLAIM FROM NORTHAMPTON using MCOL

there are dozens and dozens of similar threads on here about GLADSTONES court claims and LBC letters, just find and follow the same advice for now

then , when an MCOL arrives , follow the instructions in post #1 of the NEWBIES sticky thread, under COURT CLAIM (same as the dozens of others before you have done)

dont read anything from 2015 or older , so only in the last 6 to 12 months

Gladstones will be acting for these IPC AOS sc@mmers below

Euro Parking Services Limited

28/01/2015
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,624
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Cbella38 wrote: »
    Borrowed my friends computer .. now sorted - Thanks for your help.

Should this driver contact Gladstones or just leave things?

The driver doesn't respond, the KEEPER does.

A court claim is likely (almost certain) and is defendable but there is no way this can be done on a phone, you will be coming back here every week for months to defend this properly and will need to be able read the NEWBIES thread advice on 'Small Claims?' and can't possibly follow the links there on a phone or small device.

Expect a claim, defend like everyone else does. We will help.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • That is fine sorting out laptop this week

Bear in mind the KEEPER didn't respond and the DRIVER didn't know about this site till this week when seemed another group for help.

So what your saying the KEEPER responds to Gladstones letter and argues against the invoice ? Then see what happens next ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure