Warranty dispute

The ABS warning light has come on in my Zafira and the main dealer has advised that I need a new sensor, but this is built into the wheel bearing, so I need a new wheel bearing at a cost of over £300.
My Zafira is covered by a lifetime warranty and the list of items covered includes the ABS system however Vauxhall are now rejecting this repair but won't show me where their warranty says that the ABS component in question is excluded.
I guess that my next step is legal action via the small claims court?
Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I had one changed by an independent garage for £50.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would complain first in writing if possible and point out than ABS sensors are not consumible parts and thus they don't wear out. If it's defective and doesn't have any damage on it from rocks or the likes, they should replace it.

It won't be part of the wheel bearing, but might be part of the hub (but seems unlikely)
    All your base are belong to us.
  • This should be covered by warranty, what do Vauxhall expect you to do, cover the sensor with a waterproof bag so it don't get dirty.

My guess is the lifetime warranty has been to expensive and now they are trying to wriggle out of the claims

Stick to your guns and let them cave in.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,518
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    I would complain first in writing if possible and point out than ABS sensors are not consumible parts and thus they don't wear out. If it's defective and doesn't have any damage on it from rocks or the likes, they should replace it.

It won't be part of the wheel bearing, but might be part of the hub (but seems unlikely)

Quite common for the ABS sensor to be built into the wheelbearing. The bearings are usually a pair and one will have a black ring which must face the ABS pickup when fitted.

Seen a few with ABS lights on just before a bearing fails and ABS lights on after bearings have been changed because the mechanic dodnt know about the black/grey magnetic ring built into the bearing.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    "Lifetime" warranty Ts & Cs...
    http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/owners_services/warranty_assistance/warranty/lifetime_warranty_terms.html
    Covered components of the Lifetime warranty
    The Lifetime Warranty is valid only for the following components of the vehicle:
    4. Brake system: ABS/ESP system including hydraulic unit, brake booster, main and wheel brake cylinders, vacuum pump, brake proportioning valve.
    No mention of the wheel sensor.
    Furthermore, not covered are all service maintenance repairs and wear and tear parts. Excluded is the replacement of components that have failed due to wear and tear.
    Their argument will probably be that the wheel bearing has worn, which has caused the failure of the ABS sensor, which in any case is not on the list of explicitly covered components. Assuming it's a Mk2 Zafira, then the hub/bearing/ABS sensor are a single unit, replaced as a whole.

(And we won't even go NEAR the apparent assumption that the "lifetime" of a vehicle is apparently only 100,000 miles with the first owner, 36mo/60,000 miles or 1yr/unlimited mileage...)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    At least we can look forward to some French reliability and build quality soon.
  • Thank for everyone's comments and I'm now awaiting Vauxhall's response to my latest correspondence with them.

I think Adrian C's thoughts are particularly relevant as he has identified that Vauxhall may have a different interpretation of the wording of their warranty.

However my view, backed up by legal advice, is that the way the warranty is worded does not exclude the new part which I need (new wheel bearing which includes the sensor - the wheel bearing is fine by the way, only the sensor has failed) i.e. part 4 of their terms should not have had the word 'including' followed by a list of parts. Could be an interesting day in court if we end up there.

Thanks again
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 1:07PM
    I agree .. "including" suggests a non-exhaustive list. If they wanted to limit the scope covered then they should have used wording like "limited to" or similar.

And bear in mind .. in contract terms with a consumer, contra preferentem applies. (i.e. if a term can be construed two ways, the way that benefits the consumer shall apply). In more legal terms "The contra proferentem rule states, broadly, that where there is doubt about the meaning of the contract, the words will be construed against the person who put them forward".
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I had one changed by an independent garage for £50.

^^^^
    This

I'd be checking how much a local indy would be charging for fitting a new sensor - which seem readily available on ebay for a few £ - and then deciding if trying to "go legal" is worthwhile
  • I agree that this would be a practical solution Paul, but unless the independent repairer uses original Vauxhall parts, this would invalidate my warranty.
    Also, there is a principle at stake here!
    Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport