Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Comments

• jme85
    jme85 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Just had a claim rejected by Insure and Go and am not sure where I stand

My situation:

Arrived at Gatwick airport with plenty of time having checked in online we were held up at the huge queue at bag drop. Then further delayed by the lack of staff to tag our pram and carrycot

Long story short, in the end we missed our flight

Insure and Go won't cover the costs as we got to the airport on time and we were not delayed in getting there

Is this ridiculous or would all insurance companies say the same?
  • FunTime
    FunTime Posts: 288 Forumite
    jme85 wrote: »
    Just had a claim rejected by Insure and Go and am not sure where I stand

My situation:

Arrived at Gatwick airport with plenty of time having checked in online we were held up at the huge queue at bag drop. Then further delayed by the lack of staff to tag our pram and carrycot

Long story short, in the end we missed our flight

Insure and Go won't cover the costs as we got to the airport on time and we were not delayed in getting there

Is this ridiculous or would all insurance companies say the same?

Yes.

Did anyone else miss their flight?

In situations like these, one of you goes to the one of the staff and lets them know the time of your flight. If it's tight, they will happily move you to the front of the queue.
    If you chose to stand their silently and miss your flight, you cannot expect insurance to cough up. Can you imagine the run on insurance policies if this were to occur.
    If you feel that the airline was negligent, sue them. Why would you hold the insurance company responsible?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    FunTime wrote: »
    ....If you feel that the airline was negligent, sue them.....

Please ignore this.

Carry out some thorough internet research and see if the same has happened to others with the same airline, if it has see what the resolution was, if any. Also research to see if the airline used a handling agent and not their own employees, if so research to see if there have been similar problems with that handling agent.
    When you've done this consider further steps with the airline, don't initially act unreasonably and just 'sue them' that'd be pointless.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • FunTime
    richardw wrote: »
    Please ignore this.

Carry out some thorough internet research and see if the same has happened to others with the same airline, if it has see what the resolution was, if any. Also research to see if the airline used a handling agent and not their own employees, if so research to see if there have been similar problems with that handling agent.
    When you've done this consider further steps with the airline, don't initially act unreasonably and just 'sue them' that'd be pointless.

It was clear what I meant. That it has nothing to do with the insurance company.
    If they feel that the ground staff were negligent, that should be their avenue.

it is more than clear that you are still smarting from the embarrassment of your Asia thread, but you really shouldn't follow me around the board, commenting on my every reply, lest it be mistaken for stalking.
  • richardw
    edited 8 September 2016 at 3:25PM
    ..If they feel that the ground staff were negligent, that should be their avenue....

But if there's a 'principal and agent' relationship, that's not a sensible suggestion.

I'm posting to help money savers with their further research.
  • FunTime
    But if there's a 'principal and agent' relationship, that's not a sensible suggestion.

I'm posting to help money savers with their further research.

No, you are just waffling.

I already covered that in my initial reply.

"Did anyone else miss the flight?"
    If you feel that the airline was negligent....(this includes the ground staff who represent the airline)"

To suggest that they ignore my advice was just argumentative.

You could have simply added more detail, instead of writing "Please ignore this".

I know what you are doing. Hit and run....as witnessed in your very strange Offers to Asia on finnair - BKK from £455 thread.

Stop it.
  • richardw
    edited 8 September 2016 at 4:25PM
    No, you are just waffling...

Nope, I'm just suggesting something more sensible that the OP does some research, rather than irresponsibly suing the airline.
  • FunTime
    Nope, I'm just suggesting the OP does some research, rather than sueing the airline.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/couple-win-compensation-easyjet-after-6672416

I won't waste any more time replying to you. It's just sour grapes on your part.
  • I bought a Leisure Guard Lite policy for my recent holiday. I upgraded it to the Premier Policy for better cover and spent some time looking what activities etc would be covered to amke sure it was suitable. What I failed to do was notice that it did not cover me for missed departure. In honesty I didn't specifically look for it given that I am fairly sure that it has been a pretty standard clause on other policies I have taken out with other insurers in the past. As it was a recommended policy and this being probably a not uncommon issue I had just assumed the policy would include this.

In the event, due to a major travel delay on a coach which should have allowed me over 3 and half hours leeway from arrival time at the airport until my flight, I missed my flight home and had to buy a new ticket at a cost of around £250.

I was very disappointed when I checked my policy and found that I didn't seem to be covered. I checked with the insurer directly but they confirmed what I already suspected and advised me I had no cover for this.

I accept that it is my fault and I should have noticed this but I suspect that there are very many other people like me who would assume that this was a pretty standard item and would not have specifically checked or noticed that this was not part of the cover and would be surprised to know they were not covered.

I just want to warn other people so that they do not fall into a similar trap given that a travel delay can happen to anyone even if they allow sufficient time for their journey to the airport plus a generous margin for delay.

Also perhaps the Article should be amended to point out this fairly fundamental omission in the cover given that this is a recommended policy on the site. I would certainly not have taken out this policy had I realised this wasn't covered and would have paid more for something which did. I don't think the policy with Leisure Guard has an option to upgrade to this unless it is for cruise cover so I would have looked further for a more comprehensive cover and certainly will do in the future.

On a more positive note my boyfriend had travel insurance as part of his Nationwide Bank Account. This did cover missed departure for his flight and the cost of a hire car to get home in the middle of the night. They dealt with the matter really efficiently and processed his claim within a few days.

Hopefully this post may save someone else a nasty unexpected bill in the future!
  • Dear Amber

After several months you have declined the claim made, we have appealed but guess what you still have not replied.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback