lets get back to basics... starting with the butcher

Comments

• GlynD
    GlynD Posts: 10,883 Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    People get embarrassed easily, I suppose. You're right, of course. shoppers have no need to be, but many are.

On a similar note a young relative stared in wonder at my mother a few years ago, asking her what she was doing ... as she first boiled and then mashed potatoes. He had never seen anyone do that before. He thought mashed potato came in a packet.

It is a shocking reflection on today's society.
  • I post as someone who has no clue about buying meat in a butcher's shop. The reason being I haven't eaten meat for over 30 years! However, I do cook meat for both my DH and DD and until recently bought most of it from supermarkets.

I've really got no excuse for not buying local as the area I live in has farms a-plenty. So I've bitten the bullet and for the past couple of weeks have only bought from local farm shops.

I'm still nowhere near confident enough to venture into the butchers though, so I'm hoping that this thread will give me some useful tips.

Thanks OP! :D
  • GlynD
    I post as someone who has no clue about buying meat in a butcher's shop. The reason being I haven't eaten meat for over 30 years! However, I do cook meat for both my DH and DD and until recently bought most of it from supermarkets.

I've really got no excuse for not buying local as the area I live in has farms a-plenty. So I've bitten the bullet and for the past couple of weeks have only bought from local farm shops.

I'm still nowhere near confident enough to venture into the butchers though, so I'm hoping that this thread will give me some useful tips.

Thanks OP! :D

May I ask what you find difficult about going into a butchers shop?
  • I too bought a pork chop in Tesco and found that it had been injected with sugar - just like Edwina I suspect. I chucked it.

I now buy either at farmers market or at Waitrose. I do like Waitrose's 'forgotten cuts'

Ox cheeks = stew

Pig's cheeks = with lentils or slow cooked with apples and onions in cider

Feather steak - marinade in lemon or lime juice for 10 minutes or so then do like ordinary steak or use in an up-market casserole

There is also another steak cut - flat iron steak or butlers steak which is as good as rump

Ox tail - not tried this yet but Waitrose sell it - thinking soup here or cheap casserole - it is on my list.

Silverside - braised and cut into thick slices with the veg you use as a rack and the gravy it produces - yummmyyyyyy

All sold by Waitrose

A chicken does me too as I get loads of meals out of it and stock is a key ingredient for others - but I always buy the best for flavour and because then I know the stock will be good - but again can get reduced.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    GlynD wrote: »
    Of course I'm generalising here and in writing this I recall the young landy who asked me once how to cook potatoes I was buying in a supermarket. She had never seen them prepared from the natural product. That made me sad for humanity in the UK. To think that that girl's mother didn't show her how to peel and boil a spud!

To think her father didn't either. :p
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • GlynD
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    To think her father didn't either. :p

Well yes, although I believe you'd agree with me when I say that it's usually the preserve of the mother to teach a girl domestic subjects. :)
  • GlynD wrote: »
    Well yes, although I believe you'd agree with me when I say that it's usually the preserve of the mother to teach a girl domestic subjects. :)

I reckon this isn't true anymore.

Actually my current manager (male) cooks all the food in his household. My past line manager (female) didn't know how to cook and left it to her husband.

I think that schools should teach basic cookery.
  • GlynD
    I reckon this isn't true anymore.

Actually my current manager (male) cooks all the food in his household. My past line manager (female) didn't know how to cook and left it to her husband.

I think that schools should teach basic cookery.

Possibly. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned in that respect but I believe that mothers teach girls and fathers teach boys.

Schools did teach basic cookery when I was there. Of course they didn't teach me because I wasn't a girl :D
  • GlynD wrote: »
    May I ask what you find difficult about going into a butchers shop?

I suppose it's not knowing the cuts of meat for different cooking methods. Beef/steak in particular is difficult to fathom for me as a veggie.

I've looked in the window of the butchers and tried to sort out in my own head what to buy before going in, but everyone else just knows what they need off the top of their head.

Plus the butchers is always rammed so I don't feel like I've got the time to browse or ask questions!
  • Yes, I am in my 60's and in my schooldays taught needlework and cookery.

I really think that basic diy, finance and cookery should be taught maybe as a 3 terms thing for 15-16 yearolds.

Why should Mum have to teach domestic science - especially as may not be good at it and now that the extended family is not the norm and Mum is probably a full time worker - when does she have the time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure