Travel insurance for children only

Options
I am trying to insure my 9 year old daughter for our trip to France in August. I already have 'free' travel insurance with my bank account via LloydsTSB, but whilst it covers my wife and step-daughter, it doesn't cover my daughter, who lives with her mother.

I have been trying to find an insurer who will insure children only, but all the ones I have found require me to be insured on the same policy, which I don't want to do as I already have what I need via my bank account.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried asking the Lloyds/TSB insurer how much it might be to extend your policy to cover your daughter? We're in a similar position in that I have travel insurance free with my A&L account - extending it to cover kids is £48 per year on this one.
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • Unbelievable_2
    Options
    We did this through HSBC insurance (a few years ago though) when Lloyds didn't automatically offer family cover - worth a try.
  • looobylou
    Options
    Does anyone know if it is necessary to get a child insured for a holiday if the parents have policies that don't cover the children? If so any recommendations?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    looobylou wrote:
    Does anyone know if it is necessary to get a child insured for a holiday if the parents have policies that don't cover the children? If so any recommendations?
    If the holiday is anywhere abroad, I'd say it was essential to have cover for everyone, you never know when a child will be taken ill!

And my first port of call would be to ask the company covering the adults if they would extend the policy for the child(ren), if not for the whole year then at least for the duration of the holiday.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mister_G_4
    Options
    Endsleigh Insurance have no problem quoting for child only travel insurance and will cost around £10 for a 2 week trip. I have just paid £6.35 for my 12 yr old daughter's trip to Egypt next year.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the Endsleigh tip.

An even more complicated situation arises where your child is under 2. Hardly anyone seems to want to insure children under 2 on their own.

And I can get my daughter insured on our free A&L policy until the renewal date after her 2nd birthday - which is unfortunately 6 days after her 2nd birthday, and while we are on holiday!

Due to my appalling timing, I'm going to have to buy a policy from Endsleigh for me and her - although I'm covered elsewhere - for this holiday. This will cost £15.59 for 2 weeks whereas it would only be £7.80 for her on her own if she was over 2 when the holiday begins. D'oh!

If anyone has any better workarounds, I am all ears!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    try norwich union direct, they were happy to quote me (or "quote me happy" as they say) for my son last year. I think american express online also will
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MarkyMarkD
    Options
    NU direct won't accept a proposer under 16 online; Amex won't do anything online with kids on it.
  • CharleneUK
    CharleneUK Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just had a quote from Endsleigh for my three kids, as hubby and I already have a free one with A&L, like some posters here :)

Cheers.
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The November holiday got cancelled so we cancelled the Endsleigh policy for me and my daughter, and then took out a new one for her alone in January. All worked out OK in the end. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure