Mental health an issue for insurance?

Hi all.

We have just gone through the process with our broker to get our life insurance through Aviva, (Life and critical illness) but the question came up about mental health. I have social anxiety and low mood that I medicate, which I declared. It also asked about therapy and other issues .. which I too unfortunately have a past on .. before I was medicated. (I don't really like to admit to these things and even writing this makes me feel awful but I was told to be honest)

The outcome is it has to go to underwriters .. has anyone had a similar experience? This was 3 years ago I had therapy etc, and there has been no relapse .. I do however still take medication (I only recently re-started it) can this cause me to not be covered at all? Or .. pay a higher premium? Already our quote was £69 for the month.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Thank you so much

Comments

• ive found it very hard to get insurance due to my past mental health, to the point where i have given up. They may want your doctors note and as far as i know, they will pay for the report. i did not feel comfortable letting a stranger read mine which is probably why i cant get insurance :rotfl: so ive given up. you may find that the premium is higher too if you do get accepted.
    hope you have more luck than me :)
    :T
  • Thank you for your reply.
    It felt really awkward telling a stranger, who was not a medical profession about my mental health aha.

I hope you have some luck soon!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,028
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It felt really awkward telling a stranger, who was not a medical profession about my mental health aha.

Advisers take medical details all the time. Its nothing to feel awkward about. Indeed, the adviser is probably feeling more awkward asking the spellings on prescriptions!
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Haha, very true !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport