Toxic air in the team

Comments

• PawelK wrote: »
    Of course I dont know every single case of sickness or lateness but if a specific person arrives 20-30 minutes late 2-3 times a week but apologises as soon as she enters the room and then leaves before 5pm while some other people are late very rarely by 5-10 minutes and are loudly pointed that out, I dont think this is a fair treatment.

It doesn't sound fair but it is perfectly legal.

I also think you have to be aware of the circumstances. If the person who arrives late works hard and is otherwise an excellent employee, I think they deserve more latitude than someone who doesn't work so hard during the working day.
  • All this will do is make you look bad/bitter, and nobody is going to care about your side of the story. Try to just leave on a good/neutral note if you can.

We have people at my work come in late and leave early still and swan off for extra fag breaks all day. It is infuriating at times when you think you are sat there playing by the rules and they aren't, but there is no point raising it as the management just don't care about things like this.
  • PawelK
    PawelK Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Honestly, life is too short. I don't know what you are expecting to achieve with this. If you don't like your manager it is best to find another job.

I don't think anything in your post gives you a 'claim' I'm afraid. This person sounds like a bad manager but that is not illegal.

His conduct would only be unlawful if he is breaking the law, for example if he is discriminating against people on the basis of age/gender.

I would start searching for a new job. Once I'd found a new job, I would leave with good grace.

In my exit interview I would explain to HR why I am leaving but I would do it tactfully. I might also contact HR to explain that I have an issue with the manager, but again I would do it tactfully.

There is nothing to be achieved by kicking up a stink before you leave (except a bad reference).

No idea what your real name is but thank you very much for this very constructive advice.
  • Make sure you go to make coffee when they take their fag breaks.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    In my experience most people know what's going on, those being supervised the peers and the bosses.

What surprised me is it took you 12 months to work it out, most people suss these things out in a few weeks.
  • PawelK
    It doesn't sound fair but it is perfectly legal.

I also think you have to be aware of the circumstances. If the person who arrives late works hard and is otherwise an excellent employee, I think they deserve more latitude than someone who doesn't work so hard during the working day.

She is one of the laziest people in the team. Probably working half of her time during the day. The rest is just giggling, chatting with others etc. But when someone comes around to her desk with the question or ask for a reply to their earlier message she apologises as she is snowed umder and then quickly turns everything into joke.
  • PawelK
    All this will do is make you look bad/bitter, and nobody is going to care about your side of the story. Try to just leave on a good/neutral note if you can.

We have people at my work come in late and leave early still and swan off for extra fag breaks all day. It is infuriating at times when you think you are sat there playing by the rules and they aren't, but there is no point raising it as the management just don't care about things like this.

Thanks! I am probably fighting for an ideal workplace - utopia.
    At least you are someone that can relate to... :beer:
  • PawelK
    In my experience most people know what's going on, those being supervised the peers and the bosses.

What surprised me is it took you 12 months to work it out, most people suss these things out in a few weeks.

I know! I was surprised as well. The only reason I can think of was that I really dont get into all of that office gossip talk etc. and had a long probationary. Only shortly after that when I had my own experience with him, I started talking to people who I thought had a similar reserved approach to him and they told me their own stories. The problem is that even if he doesnt always play by the book he does it in a dont ask dont tell manner so apart from the person involved, no one wuld normally know that he treated someone much getter than you in exact same situation.
  • Notmyfault wrote: »
    Make sure you go to make coffee when they take their fag breaks.

I just don't let it bother me anymore and it's fine, it is stupid anyway cause you only work yourself up! - I just do my work and make sure i am not doing anything wrong, and they can do whatever they want to do
  • Leave it be, IMO play along and be nice, remember, you need a reference from them so dont burn bridges. HR will side with management over staff usually so be careful with what you say to them.
    PawelK wrote: »
    She is one of the laziest people in the team. Probably working half of her time during the day. The rest is just giggling, chatting with others etc. But when someone comes around to her desk with the question or ask for a reply to their earlier message she apologises as she is snowed umder and then quickly turns everything into joke.

Be glad you are not her then, it WILL catch up with her. When manager leaves or when she is made redundant and ends up working in the real world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure