Icy roads, what are my rights at work

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options i would look at rather than "refusing" to go to work would be :-
    • See how amenable your employer is to short term unavailability for work due to adverse weather conditions
    • Look at public transport options
    • Seeing if it was possible to get a lift on the worst of the winter days
    • See if its possible to WFH
    • See if its possible to stay over with a friend or colleague in the worst of the weather
    • Find a job closer to home
    • Find a way to afford driving lessons - part time job maybe?
    • Move closer to work

I suspect not turning in when you think the weather is against you wont go down terribly well for terribly long.....
  • TyreLever wrote: »
    I done a search and all I come across is about asking for taking unpaid leave, or about working from home. Its not like I can drive the forklift around my house, even if I brought it home! But to the point, can my employer give me a disciplinary? Or whatever the AWOL thing is. I know of nobody that can give me a lift in either.

Awww, yeah I suppose some businesses will get hit as well.

What about when it's your job to sort others parcels on the back of these being brought in on a trailer, using the exact same roads.

What about when professional drivers get stuck or can't risk it.

Gosh is this going to be like a bad nightmare. Building up to giving the employer a second due handshake over they being right.
  • My son doesn't ride his scooter in the snow, but still needs to get to college. It's not local, and from our house it is two bus rides and two hours (6.30 bus to town, arriving at 7am, then 7.10 bus to next town, to arrive at 8.05. Five minutes walk to college, which starts at 8.30am). If he had to do that, he would. As an alternative, I drive him to the nearest bus stop that takes him to the next town - so he only has to leave the house at 7.15am. Mind you, it also means that we all have to be out that early. My other son has severe learning disabilities, so can't be left alone. It works for us though.

Is there anyone who you could ask for a lift partway? Or can you advertise a need on a local FB site and ask if anyone local to you is able to give you a lift in return for petrol? I know that there are also lift offering sites that you could check.

However you get there, you should make every effort to get into work.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Your work should have guidance on this.

My work (and I think most public sector is the same) says I will have to walk to the 'nearest office' - luckily councils have lots of offices. But this only applies if the 'nearest office' is within 3 miles. I've never had to resort to doing this though as despite bad weather at times, transport still runs and each year roads etc are better prepared.

About 9ish years ago when we had snow for the first time in 20 years and almost every business closed (or just didn't open), one of my colleagues walked to work but the building was shut as the people who open/close buildings couldn't get in. She didn't have anyones personal number as she was quite new.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The vast majority of people will make a reasonable effort to get to work even in adverse conditions. Employers are under no obligation to pay people who don't get into work because of the weather. They may give people the option of using annual leave or taking the day unpaid.
    If they have the flexibility to do so, some employers will still pay staff who have a good attendance record or have a history of 'going the extra mile'. Not all managers have that freedom to decide.
  • I've lost money by attending work some days by paying for taxis. I just don't think it's right to let everyone down even if I spend more than I earn for a day or two.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You may need to be creative.

I've stayed over in a cheap hotel or B&B from time to time when there's not been any other reasonable way to get to work.

I know someone who managed to hide a 3-month driving ban from his employer with creative use of public transport and hotels - despite being a mobile trainer!
  • Chloe_G
    Chloe_G Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you work in a school they normally close if it snows.
  • yep all the teachers in the family are currently off work.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Chloe_G wrote: »
    If you work in a school they normally close if it snows.

Yeah. I was in the wrong job for all my working life. First sign of snow and all the schools now shut up shop. When I was a kid I can recall very few situations when the schools closed for snow. 'Elf n Safety gone mad.
    Hopefully any 'in service' days will be cancelled now to ensure the pupils get the full period of education. After all, if taking a kid out for a couple of days for holiday is damaging, it must be just as damaging if learning has to be crammed into fewer days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure