MSE News: One in seven worry about money 'every day' during the run-up to Christmas

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Forumite
edited 11 December 2017 at 11:41AM in Debt-free wannabe
Households are facing increasing financial pressures over the Christmas period, a new poll reveals today, with more people regularly worrying about money and more turning to credit to pay for festive food and presents...
Read the full story:
'One in seven worry about money 'every day' during the run-up to Christmas'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• There is too much pressure on people to feel they have to spend lots to have a nice Christmas. I think cutting back hard on who you buy presents for, not overdoing the food and drink and resisting the urge to accept every party invite going makes Christmas a much more peaceful and worry free time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Exactly. It's disturbing to see how much is spent on Christmas, especially by those who can't afford what they're buying. Christmas should not get people into debt.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can always celebrate festivus instead https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Echo the points made already.

People get themselves into debt at Christmas because often they feel utterly obligated to please others. As a society, we've trodden the most bizarre materialistic path that can cause the most unbelievable financial pain for many. People need to stop and think about what they're doing when it comes to bestowing gifts on others because they feel that somehow it's the right thing to do and because it's considered by many as 'expected'

Many years ago, I and my Wife quite literally stuck two fingers up to exchanging presents and sending cards. It became pointless, but more importantly, we discovered the people who weren't worth having as friends in the first place because the moment we stopped giving Christmas gifts, they made it perfectly clear they weren't at all happy about it. We actually have a wonderful Christmas every year now, even many members of our own families have followed our lead.

We're not anti-Christmas in any way, my Wife and I still exchange a gift on Christmas Day, but what we're not prepared to do, is spend money on others, and that includes the very closest members of our family, and leave ourselves in financial stress, nor do we feel remotely 'guilty' for not spending to please others. We now save enough money over the Christmas period, to allow ourselves to take a winter sun holiday in January whilst others are struggling with their finances. We can at least, can go into the New Year debt free, every year.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Caddyman wrote: »
    Many years ago, I and my Wife quite literally stuck two fingers up to exchanging presents and sending cards. It became pointless, but more importantly, we discovered the people who weren't worth having as friends in the first place because the moment we stopped giving Christmas gifts, they made it perfectly clear they weren't at all happy about it. We actually have a wonderful Christmas every year now, even many members of our own families have followed our lead.

Years ago my mum and dad said they "weren't buying presents this year", my mum was then disappointed on xmas day when she produced a present and dad hadn't. My dad stopped believing her.

IMO where it goes wrong is if you just throw money at the problem and don't think about where the money is coming from and also whether there is something cheaper but more meaningful you can buy/do instead. One year my dad couldn't afford presents and he made them instead.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Myself, and my ex wife dont use credit anymore, we have 3 kids, and only buy them whats affordable from our combined wages.

We got into terrible bother with debt a few years ago, which i have documented and commented on previously, not all to do with Christmas granted, but credit cards used to fund it, never again, on another tangent, was reading a post yesterday, some guy wanting to borrow 20 grand for a wedding, ugh........cringe worthy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,237
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Caddyman wrote: »
    Echo the points made already.

People get themselves into debt at Christmas because often they feel utterly obligated to please others. As a society, we've trodden the most bizarre materialistic path that can cause the most unbelievable financial pain for many. People need to stop and think about what they're doing when it comes to bestowing gifts on others because they feel that somehow it's the right thing to do and because it's considered by many as 'expected'

We're not anti-Christmas in any way, my Wife and I still exchange a gift on Christmas Day, but what we're not prepared to do, is spend money on others, and that includes the very closest members of our family, and leave ourselves in financial stress, nor do we feel remotely 'guilty' for not spending to please others. We now save enough money over the Christmas period, to allow ourselves to take a winter sun holiday in January whilst others are struggling with their finances. We can at least, can go into the New Year debt free, every year.
    Of course you can do token or presents sourced without spending e.g. a top from Tesco using clubcard
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The only time I have enjoyed Christmas has been when I was a kid and still believe in Father Christmas and when my kids did too. That's the only magic that I can understand, everything else passes me by!

I go and do my weekly shopping and see those boxed presents and all I can think of is 'do women really get excited when they open one up to see a collection of Dove shampoo, shower gel and soap'? Do men really get a buzz because they got a hair nose remover?

I don't even get the over excitment of the Xmas meal. Yes it is nice, but surely nowadays, we could eat that same meal at any time in the year if we really wanted to?

Xmas lost its magic since we've been able to afford (even if by credit) all those things at any other time of the year. What made it special was when it was the only time that you could really enjoy those things.

I would so much rather spend my money in getting things for people who genuinely need them but it's hard to know people who are experiencing true hardship rather than hardship through poor budgeting ie. who might need a new washing machine but can't afford it because they bought their kids the latest i-phone or signed up to the biggest sky package.
  • FBaby wrote: »

I don't even get the over excitment of the Xmas meal. Yes it is nice, but surely nowadays, we could eat that same meal at any time in the year if we really wanted to?

Xmas lost its magic since we've been able to afford (even if by credit) all those things at any other time of the year. What made it special was when it was the only time that you could really enjoy those things.

I think this drives over the top Christmas consumerism and intensity. When it's possible to do these things all year round and when people purchase what they want, never mind need, all year round it becomes necessary to make Christmas even more extravagent. There's probably a formula in there somewhere, everyday consumerism * 10 or something.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like words put into people's mouths.
    I'm sure many DO worry every day about it .... but if you ask people if they worry then they'll probably say "yes", especially if the questioning is intended to "prove" everybody's worrying.

I'm more worried by the fact that everybody's in a perpetual state of worry! About everything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure