should I apply for same job at different agencies?

Hi,

I came across same jobs advertised by different recruitment agencies on reed website.

Should I apply to different agencies knowing it's the same job? I guess it doesn't necessarily increase my chance being shortlisted :p

San

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think it will be a waste of time tbh as surely the agencies will both have the same list of criteria to screen applicants.
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    I think it will be a waste of time tbh as surely the agencies will both have the same list of criteria to screen applicants.

But they may have different numbers of people who meet those criteria. That could increase the chance of getting put forward by one agency over the other if they only put forward a limited number of applicants.
  • thanks for the replies. I think I'll submit another application. The worst thing could happen is getting rejected twice...
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd recommend only applying for a job through one agency and wait until they reject you before applying through another.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2017 at 7:44PM
    But they may have different numbers of people who meet those criteria. That could increase the chance of getting put forward by one agency over the other if they only put forward a limited number of applicants.

Yes maybe, it definitely wont harm the OPs chances.
  • If you see it advertised at multiple agencies, there's a chance the role has been advertised publicly and they are just picking up on that. If you can find it advertised directly, you can apply directly and cut the agencies out.
  • zugzwang wrote: »
    If you see it advertised at multiple agencies, there's a chance the role has been advertised publicly and they are just picking up on that. If you can find it advertised directly, you can apply directly and cut the agencies out.

This.

I applied for a job via multiple agencies and got no response from any of the agencies. I discovered the job advertised directly on the company website, applied, and got an interview. The company were surprised that none of the agencies had put me forward for the role.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Go for it. It increases your chances of being picked .... and you can plead ignorance if it's ever mentioned.

Let the employer/agencies worry about who gets the finders fee if you ever get the job.... not your problem ... didn't know .... had no idea ....
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    sanova76 wrote: »
    Hi,

I came across same jobs advertised by different recruitment agencies on reed website.

Should I apply to different agencies knowing it's the same job? I guess it doesn't necessarily increase my chance being shortlisted :p

San

I've applied to multiple agencies who have the same job at the same time.

Better chance of one ringing you back.
  • This.

I applied for a job via multiple agencies and got no response from any of the agencies. I discovered the job advertised directly on the company website, applied, and got an interview. The company were surprised that none of the agencies had put me forward for the role.

Yes often agencies aren't competent in deciding who is a good candidate. They maybe dont have the special knowledge to understand the role.

Often it goes that they sift job adverts in newspapers, periodicals and online. Then they pick out say 5 CVs, and try to punt those CVs onto the employer. But it'll be the 5 CVs that come to hand. Recently submitted probably.

The other thing is you can maybe save the employer having to pay the agency a finders fee. This makes you more attractive - particularly if its a temp job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure