Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    Options
    Also for ideas have a look here:

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org/
    Meal planners to Feed family of 4 for £100 a week

thriftylesley.com has some great £1 a day meal planners too but the site is down at the moment
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 August 2017 at 11:54AM
    Options
    Hey redofromstart. Thanks so much for popping in again, and thank you for the good advice. I have enough, tea, washing powder, shampoo etc to last me probably a year or two :o so I'm ok there. And thank you for the ideas re milk. I have some rice but not over amounts. I have tried making all sorts of milk from my vegan days, but they split I find, and the children won't drink them in their tea (Hot milk) in the morning. I should be ok with just the oat milk for now. They can have cheese in their sandwiches and I have a few yogurt tubes i will give them today and tomorrow to make up for the lack of milk calcium/fat wise.

I like your thoughts on stewing the fruit. its just the plums I am going to make jam out of, its because it is my childrens favourite, and I make it every year and I really want to make it, but I see your point. So I will open freeze the blackberries ready for pies and to top porridge etc. And I am going to have a look at the windfall apples and see if any can be saved and stewed ready for winter pies! It is the first year we have got a good crop of fruit from the garden and we have been eating and squirrelling away in the freezer since May. The apples from the tree I will actually pick and store, there are only about 20-30 but should last us about 2 weeks, and saves me buying any.

I'm only going to buy fresh carrots, the broccoli i will buy frozen, and the peas thanks for the thought.

Todays update: I have had toast and tea and the small ones have had their breakfast of toast and fruit. I forgot how hungry I am all of the time, and 2-3 pieces of toast isn't really enough to sustain me, so I have had 2 pieces of toast and a frozen banana protein shake, which has filled the gap!

Have spent 2.5 hours cleaning! Have managed to strip my bed, wash bedding, and it is now hanging on the line! DW is now on, and second load is waiting to go on in the WM. I've washed up the pans, tidied toys, cleaned the sink, wiped all the sides and tidied the lounge.

In other news. Next door came round to borrow a ladder, and has brought round 2 huge buckets of pears in return?! I'm so grateful! Now, any ideas what to do with them? Will see if I can do a little research into storing them, as I usually buy a couple of packs a week,as the small ones like eating them fresh. I will definite stew some for crumbles etc too.

Also super pleased, I looked in the freezer and found I had already got some peas! So no need to buy any, i have some porridge oats, not tons but enough so that we don't need to buy any more this week. I have also found some value bleach I have been avoiding using, as I'm lazy and it means I actually have to scrub the toilet with it as its thin bleach, as I just leave the thick bleach to do its magic!!!:o so shouldn't need bleach either..... so may be able to afford my only vice of marmite :D . When i put the oven on for pizza later, I'm going to also make some rolls and roast some veg that is lurking in the fridge to make soup. Oh and I found meat balls and shep pie mix, that I had made and frozen!!!! So easy dinners too! Crazy what is in my freezer that I don't even know about!

Still need to put washing away, and strip small ones beds and wash. Going to hoover later and clean the bathrooms and toilets :eek: honestly with a 5 year old boy, who, lets say has a slight problem with his aim, makes cleaning the toilets my least favourite job, and we have 3 of the things to clean!!!! :o:eek:

Right going to finish my smoothie, make a cuppa, and log into the tax office thing to make sure they pay my rebate soonest!!

Thanks for reading :A
  • missymoo81
    edited 12 August 2017 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Bananas x 10 120
    Bread x 3 105
    Beans 23
    Carrots 42
    Passata 35
    Tomatoes 29
    Frozen Broccoli 89
    Sugar 59
    Milk 145
    Marg 69
    Yeast extract 190
    Hair mousse 100

Higher than I'd like,but will use the contingency for the 6p! There was me saying have enough shampoo etc for years! Yep but obviously not hair mousse! Actually feeling really selfish that my marmite is so expensive!!!!!! Wondering if I can wean myself off it. I have tons of peanut butter I can have instead... Will think
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Big boys aren't much better I can tell you my DS is 14 and still needs to improve his aim lol
  • missymoo81
    Options
    louby40 wrote: »
    Big boys aren't much better I can tell you my DS is 14 and still needs to improve his aim lol

A ha ha! Yes thinking about it, I don't think OH is much better :eek: :rotfl:
  • missymoo81
    edited 12 August 2017 at 12:32PM
    Options
    The case of the missing toothbrush is now solved. It was in the pocket of OH's rucksack. Obviously?! No idea! But it's found, it's charging and I have found a new head for it so that's £37 saved from next months budget! For not needing to buy a new one! :T:D
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello, you are doing incredibly well and I shall be subscribing as the one real area I need to cut down on is our food bill. I have done an inventory of the freezer and there are enough meal bases for the whole month, so why oh why am I always over budget?? I am hoping that your enthusiasm is catching....
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • missymoo81
    Options
    Hey AlwaysHappy. At least it's not just me, some weeks I was spending £100. It's no wonder my cupboards and freezer are so full!!! You can share my enthusiasm if you want :D. Although I was embarrassingly happy when I found peas AND shepherds pie in the freezer!:o T'is a little bit addictive!
  • missymoo81
    Options
    have just applied for my tax return, a bit of a palaver to set up a gateway thingy, but done and worth it for £252. Think I might change what I do with this money. I think instead of paying it off the CC I will put it in a different pot and save it to pay for xmas. Rather than paying it off and borrowing more back! Just had a shower and eating lunch now, so will then tackle clothes when finished.
  • missymoo81
    edited 12 August 2017 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Oh my goodness, do not seem to have stopped today!! So tired!

Right list from earlier:
    Pick apples before they all fall off! - not done, will do tomorrow
    Apply for CC - not done as can't remember log in, but found my card so will try and find enthusiasm to do later
    Apply for tax refund to go in bank - done :T
    Put clean washing away! Done, but goodness it took forever!!!!
    Wash bedding I washed my bedding, will do littlies tomorrow
    Change all beds - as above
    More washing!- done and put away.
    Tidy kitchen, it's so messy it's not even funnY - done, need to clean up dinner things now though!!!

Also:
    Tidied bathroom, need to clean, didn't get round to cleaning toilets will do tomorrow.
    Hoovered upstairs, didn't get round to doing downstairs.
    Tidied lounge
    reworked food shopping list
    Did quick cupboard/fridge inventory
    Bathed the small ones and tidied their bedrooms

Phew! Will update how food went in a minute!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure