affordability -credit cards

Doing affordability checks and I am coming out as very low. This is because all of our credit cards are in my name only and not in joint names so I think its just looking at my salary and by credit card balances. If I set my husband as a joint card holder would this improve it?

Comments

• There are no joint card holders. Only primary and additional.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi EP1974

Only one person can be held liable for a credit card, in this case it is you. You could add your husband as an additional card holder but that would only mean he could spend on the card. He could not be held liable for it.

That means affordability checks carried out on you will take into account all the credit card payments for cards in your name, plus any other bills you have to pay.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure