Outstanding Tax (IT Contractor)

Options
Hello,

About 2 years ago I was out of work and got offered a Job as an IT Contractor. I used a company to set it all up and had an accountant etc. things didn't end well, the service I was provided wasn't very good and after 6 months I ended up getting a full job job back on payroll and never paid the tax on what I owed while contracting. Its been nearly 18months, Ive never had a letter saying I owe anything, all my paperwork was lost during a house move so I have no references to give HMRC when I can. I want to get things settled but I don't know where to start, is there a company I can through who will sort this out for me? I don't mind paying someone if thats what it needs.

I was naive it taking the contractor job, I have no idea on how to run a business and dont ever plan on doing it again!

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    What happened with the company you set up?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used a company to set it all up and had an accountant etc.
    set up what?
    a company you personally owned and which employed you for the contracting work?
    or
    the accountants arranged for you to be paid via an umbrella company?

you say you have no records covering that period, but surely you must know whether anyone paid you anything and could presumably compile a list of receipts by looking at your bank statements?

yes, you may well struggle in "remembering" what expenses you incurred whilst contacting, but again once you know who paid you, when, and where you worked, you can have a stab at collating some expenses surely?

no company you turn to for help will be able to magic stuff out of thin air. They can only work with what you give them. What happened with the accountants you started with? An accountant is really the best "company" to turn to for help.

if on the other hand, you just want to close this chapter in your life, then inform HMRC of the total income you had, that you have no expenses, and that the tax you owe will be higher than it could be, but at least it would end the saga. Your choice?
  • luk000999000
    Options
    My apologies, was a little short on details.

I had an accountant, thats where the trouble started I went with one of these all in packages online and never got the service I needed as someone who hadn't done this type of thing before. I have the invoices for each month I was paid, 6 months at 4k a month so I had a total pre tax income of around £30k

I kept it very simple anyways an never claimed any expenses or anything like that, I worked it out to be around £6-8k that I would owe, thats fine and I could pay back at £1k a month or so but when I contact HMRC they wont speak to me without a reference number I no longer have.

My company is my dissolved as per companies house records, I personally have not received any correspondence about it.

I no longer have access to the bank account I used either, it was a cash+ account that is now closed due to inactivity.

How serious is this? I am planning on emigrating to America next year and wanted all this settled beforehand, worried someone like this may put on blocker on me going....

thanks for your time
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You really need to go and find an accountant to sort this mess out for you. You dont seem to be in a position to DIY
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Sensible suggestion from BoGoF. Can friends/family recommend one they have been happy with?

And if this is about your personal tax then you should be able to discuss it with HMRC by quoting your National Insurance number.

You could even see what info HMRC has for you on your personal tax account on gov.ul.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    I’m guessing you transferred all of the company money to your own account before it was dissolved. How did you account for this payment? Did you declare a dividend or operate a payroll?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure