Detention

Comments

• coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Because the "detention" was awarded for getting <X% in any particular piece of work set by the teacher....

Maybe the student was thick and was doing their best, or they misread the question or made a daft mistake in error, or they were ill that day, or the teacher was so carp they never understood that little bit, or they hadn't slept well the night before, or had a worrying appointment after school, or was worried about a sick relative .... and because they got 1 mark under the requirement they're punished.

The "detention" wasn't to be awarded for giving the teacher the finger and telling them where they can stick their arbitrary rules.

Or maybe none of the above happened, but that's what the student told mum and dad.

Also, getting detention for 'giving the teacher the finger' etc would be an introduction to life 'in the real world'.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mine's had a 'dentention' before for not handing in homework. She claimed otherwise. The missing homework was later found on a pile of paperwork on the teacher's desk. It was discovered whilst DD was doing the detention, she still wasn't allowed to leave.

Where's the punishment when teacher slips up? (as we all do because we're human but if you're a school kid that's not allowed without punishment)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Had it been me at school, that would have had you there until at least 6pm, possibly closer to 8pm, which would potentially be the earliest one of my parents could have got there to collect me, and you would have had to remain, because of duty of care. You would have prevented me from using the only method of transport available apart from a 12 mile walk, some of which was along unlit national speed limit single track roads with no pavement, so you personally would have become responsible for my safety.

I came home on a school bus (45 minute journey) and arriving home at 4.45pm was always home before either parent. So mum would have had to wait for my brother, who went to a different school and got home later, then get in the car (if dad didn't have it, otherwise she might have been waiting to beyond 7pm for him to get back from doing overtime, which he had to do to pay the mortgage when the rate was ovver 15%) and drive another 45 minutes to the school to collect me. Then drive home, then cook dinner and when exactly homework would have got done is anyone's guess.

I wondered what teachers thought about when handing out detentions like smarties. Certainly not how the child will get home once the school bus has gone, given that the reason the school bus existed was no public transport was available.

It's not the teacher's job to arrange transport for pupils. Once the parents are informed that the pupil will not be catching the school bus - for sport, music, drama or detention - transport is down parents.

The hours I spent freezing outside school waiting for the odd parent to pick pupils up after a theatre trip were annoying! This is in spite of letters.

Before most had mobiles, of course,
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Spendless wrote: »
    Mine's had a 'dentention' before for not handing in homework. She claimed otherwise. The missing homework was later found on a pile of paperwork on the teacher's desk. It was discovered whilst DD was doing the detention, she still wasn't allowed to leave.

Where's the punishment when teacher slips up? (as we all do because we're human but if you're a school kid that's not allowed without punishment)

Do you think teachers issue punishments for a rare 'slip up'?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny wrote: »
    In my experience of being a pupil, yes. There were plenty of good teachers, but a fair smattering of petty and vindictive ones, some with no control of their temper. And one sex abuser of teenage boys.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 11:21AM
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I often used to wonder if teachers were living in the real world when handing out detentions. We used to have a teacher who would give you a detention for scraping your chair and another who would give you detention for not ruling a line straight enough

I was once given a detention for farting in class.

To be fair they were rather loud and being a 12 year old boy I was proud of that fact :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    pollypenny wrote: »
    It's not the teacher's job to arrange transport for pupils. Once the parents are informed that the pupil will not be catching the school bus - for sport, music, drama or detention - transport is down parents.

It's a sad fact that when categorising schools there is little or no account given to the fact that some pupils will have unsupportive parents, difficult home circumstances, bring in bad behaviour from outside school etc. etc. All that matters is exam results and league tables.

So schools adopt a zero tolerance to uniform, behaviour, homework, hairstyles.....and go down the detention route and eventually to exclusion. The parents of those pupils get thoroughly pi**ed off because they have to collect their offspring from school or look after them at home and take them away from the school. Result! School now has only pupils who behave well, work hard, wear a smart uniform and pass exams!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3775968/Police-called-school-sends-FIFTY-children-home-day-term-weren-t-wearing-right-uniform.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/piers-morgan-lashes-out-parent-11161015
  • pollypenny wrote: »

It sounds like it in that example, which was the poster's own child they were talking about.

I'm sure most don't, but there are teachers who are burned out and sick of the kids and not always perfectly fair.

My bugbear at school was whole class detentions. Punishing all for the actions of a few.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    maman wrote: »
    So schools adopt a zero tolerance to uniform, behaviour, homework, hairstyles.....and go down the detention route and eventually to exclusion. The parents of those pupils get thoroughly pi**ed off because they have to collect their offspring from school or look after them at home and take them away from the school. Result! School now has only pupils who behave well, work hard, wear a smart uniform and pass exams!

Sounds awful.

So 60 children stage a riot after being sent home for not wearing school uniform (you're not going to tell me that all 60 had to wear trainers due to hip pain) and their parents predictably join in with the children.

In ten years' time they'll be claiming it's the government's fault their children have no qualifications and are on benefits or minimum wage. "There is some confusion over whether black trainers count as shoes." Jesus wept. Ask any job interviewer if you're confused over whether trainers are shoes.

Society eh.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spendless wrote: »

Wow this reminded me of something similar that happened to me at school!! Im 30 now so this was at least 15 years ago, but still. I gave the homework in, the teacher stacked it all up with her personal files, lo and behold she ended up accidently taking my homework home with her.... got a detention for no homework.

Teacher then came to me the day of the detention, told me she'd found it at her house but I still had to attend the detention........... which went down a treat as you can imagine lol. I point blank refused and was sent to my very strict head of year. Who immediately told me I didn't have to go to detention. Pointless :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure