Detention

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    R u sure u r gettin the whole story from ur child?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The fear of detention would make me go in the opposite direction and I'd simply not bother to do the assignment, fearing a low score would be a detention so "I might as well just have the detention without the stress".

It's an inappropriate response to a poor mark.
  • pinkshoes wrote: »
    I would then phone their parents and have them stay behind after school for an hour in a 'detention' where they can resit the test.
    Had it been me at school, that would have had you there until at least 6pm, possibly closer to 8pm, which would potentially be the earliest one of my parents could have got there to collect me, and you would have had to remain, because of duty of care. You would have prevented me from using the only method of transport available apart from a 12 mile walk, some of which was along unlit national speed limit single track roads with no pavement, so you personally would have become responsible for my safety.

I came home on a school bus (45 minute journey) and arriving home at 4.45pm was always home before either parent. So mum would have had to wait for my brother, who went to a different school and got home later, then get in the car (if dad didn't have it, otherwise she might have been waiting to beyond 7pm for him to get back from doing overtime, which he had to do to pay the mortgage when the rate was ovver 15%) and drive another 45 minutes to the school to collect me. Then drive home, then cook dinner and when exactly homework would have got done is anyone's guess.

I wondered what teachers thought about when handing out detentions like smarties. Certainly not how the child will get home once the school bus has gone, given that the reason the school bus existed was no public transport was available.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • PasturesNew
    pinkshoes wrote: »

I really HATE it when I have a bright pupil that puts no effort into revision and does badly in a test.

I would then phone their parents and have them stay behind after school for an hour in a 'detention' where they can resit the test.

Not all homes have an environment where homework's possible - and, for many, phoning the parent would just get the kid a b0ll0cking, so they feel less encouraged to even bother... some parents will just beat the child down with telling them how useless they are, using phone calls from the school as proof they're right and the kid's useless.

I rarely did homework because by the time I got home, the table was laid for tea, then we'd have tea, then mum/dad/sibling would be watching the telly - and there was no heating in any other rooms and no table anywhere else. There was no "space" to do it, nowhere quiet/fit for purpose.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    In my daughter's school (she's also yr10) they have 're-branded' after school detentions as Period 7s and they get them for anything, forgetting their homework, not doing well enough for a test, not concentrating in class, having a piece of missing pe kit eg a sock and so it goes on.

Like anything if you flood the market you devalue something, this is as true with punishments as it is gold bullion bars or diamonds.

If it was feasible to send mine somewhere else I would (I'm getting similar reports about other schools too). I'm just thankful that DD is my youngest, there's less than 2 years left and that she has no wish to go to a school sixth form.

Sorry OP this probably doesn't help you at all, I just wanted you to know you weren't alone.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    The fear of detention would make me go in the opposite direction and I'd simply not bother to do the assignment, fearing a low score would be a detention so "I might as well just have the detention without the stress".

It's an inappropriate response to a poor mark.
    ^^^^ This was the attitude my eldest used to take when the school first started becoming stricter. He used to not bother doing the work, in the knowledge he'd be kept behind the following day and have to do it then.

What changed for him was going to a FE college after GCSE's and when the staff started treating him differently to what school had, they got a whole different outcome from him.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Had it been me at school, that would have had you there until at least 6pm, possibly closer to 8pm, which would potentially be the earliest one of my parents could have got there to collect me, and you would have had to remain, because of duty of care. You would have prevented me from using the only method of transport available apart from a 12 mile walk, some of which was along unlit national speed limit single track roads with no pavement, so you personally would have become responsible for my safety.

I came home on a school bus (45 minute journey) and arriving home at 4.45pm was always home before either parent. So mum would have had to wait for my brother, who went to a different school and got home later, then get in the car (if dad didn't have it, otherwise she might have been waiting to beyond 7pm for him to get back from doing overtime, which he had to do to pay the mortgage when the rate was ovver 15%) and drive another 45 minutes to the school to collect me. Then drive home, then cook dinner and when exactly homework would have got done is anyone's guess.

I wondered what teachers thought about when handing out detentions like smarties. Certainly not how the child will get home once the school bus has gone, given that the reason the school bus existed was no public transport was available.

I often used to wonder if teachers were living in the real world when handing out detentions. We used to have a teacher who would give you a detention for scraping your chair and another who would give you detention for not ruling a line straight enough

Not all kids go home to sit and watch TV, some have real life problems, siblings to look after, ill parents, or after school jobs. Because of reasons like this, at least half a dozen girls dropped out of school at least a year before we should have left at 16 yrs old - as were put in no win situations by teachers

I still stand by what I have seen over the years and say that some teachers only got into the profession so they can have authority over someone smaller, they are like failed bullies - Obviously not all of them, there are some lovely teachers also
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler

That's certainly a lot to think about.

Why shouldn't the student also think about it, and knuckle down to behaving well and doing his/her best?

That would also avoid all of those difficulties for all of those people.
  • coolcait
    coolcait Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I often used to wonder if teachers were living in the real world when handing out detentions. We used to have a teacher who would give you a detention for scraping your chair and another who would give you detention for not ruling a line straight enough

Not all kids go home to sit and watch TV, some have real life problems, siblings to look after, ill parents, or after school jobs. Because of reasons like this, at least half a dozen girls dropped out of school at least a year before we should have left at 16 yrs old - as were put in no win situations by teachers

I still stand by what I have seen over the years and say that some teachers only got into the profession so they can have authority over someone smaller, they are like failed bullies - Obviously not all of them, there are some lovely teachers also

And how do you categorise all the pupils who not only couldn't be bothered for themselves - they were also disrupting the education of the other pupils who could be bothered? But weren't allowed to, because of the behaviour of their classmates. :(

What about the parents who couldn't be bothered with their children or their education?

Those groups also exist. What are your views on them?
  • PasturesNew
    coolcait wrote: »

Why shouldn't the student also think about it, and knuckle down to behaving well and doing his/her best?

Because the "detention" was awarded for getting <X% in any particular piece of work set by the teacher....

Maybe the student was thick and was doing their best, or they misread the question or made a daft mistake in error, or they were ill that day, or the teacher was so carp they never understood that little bit, or they hadn't slept well the night before, or had a worrying appointment after school, or was worried about a sick relative .... and because they got 1 mark under the requirement they're punished.

The "detention" wasn't to be awarded for giving the teacher the finger and telling them where they can stick their arbitrary rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure