Yorkshire Building Society 5% Mortgage

Options
Hi there,

I want to give you my review of the mortgage application process for Yorkshire Building Society (YBS).

During the research I did on mortgages, I found a lot of conflicting information from various threads and forums and as a first time buyer I found that the more I read, the more worried I got.

To cut a long story short, my partner and I have recently had our mortgage approved and its been extremely straight forward. I was rated as "fair" by experian and equifax and my partner "good" - despite neither of us having any late payments or defaults. She has no debt whatsoever and pays her CC balance off in full each month and I have a CC and a car on finance, with plenty of disposable income. We're both employed, permanently, full-time, been with the same employer for over 3 years and we earn combined salaries of £95,500PA.

So the first lesson I learnt here was don't pay any notice to the ratings provided by Experian and Equifax.

We also did not do any preparation on the lead up to applying for the mortgage; we spent as we normally do, went to the pub twice a week, ate out a couple of times a week and led a comfortable lifestyle. A month before applying I borrowed £20k to buy a car (at a ridiculously low 3.6% from halifax) and a couple of months before I switched from 2 x 0% CC's to 1 x 0% CC.

I first got 2 x decision in principles from 2 x banks; Halifax and Barclays. These are soft searches and did not affect our credit scores. Both said we can borrow up to c£480,000.

We only wanted to borrow c£350-375k so at this stage we felt comfortable we would pass an affordability check.

YBS had the cheapest 5% deposit mortgage. And this is what scared us, as the forums said that YBS were extremely strict and didn't like to give out 5% mortgages. In our case, this wasn't true.

We found a house, for 375k. Applied for the decision in principle on-line, which was approved in seconds (this does do a credit check). We then went on to apply for the full mortgage which was then approved again. So we are purchasing a £375k house with a 5% deposit (19k).

5 days later a lady called, very pleasant, and asked that we send them 3 payslips and our latest bank statement. Given that we had electronic versions of our payslips and bank statements we could simply emailed them, nothing needed to be verified. We complied and a week later they contacted us to say everything was approved pending the survey results.

They did 1 credit check, with Equifax and a soft search with Experian which is noted as an identity check.

We're now awaiting the results from the survey which happened on the 10th but so far so good. The lady said as long as the valuation comes back OK then the full mortgage offer will be approved and we can move to exchange.

I must stress that my partner and I have no children and have plenty of disposable income, so maybe if we were borrowing closer to our maximum they may have delved deeper into our finances.

I hope this helps others out there feel confident about applying for a mortgage!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Personally IMHO 5% deposit mortgages are what got us into the last mess I'm amazed that on joint income of 95k you couldn't save another 5%
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    Personally IMHO 5% deposit mortgages are what got us into the last mess

Was a combination of self certified incomes and interest only. Allied to lax underwriting. Where in house advisors had sales targets to achieve. With a fundamental switch to mortgages being granted on a repayment basis. The risk to lenders diminishes. With the borrower shouldering more of the potential down side.
  • Toonsy
    Toonsy Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    Personally IMHO 5% deposit mortgages are what got us into the last mess I'm amazed that on joint income of 95k you couldn't save another 5%

It's not the product that was the issue - it was the lax regulation and skant forward thinking (of borrrower and lender) which was the issue.

For instance I took out a NR Together product because at the time it was the most workable solution for me (I couldn't save a deposit because I was paying debt so paid it all off with the loan) but I do recall asking my MB at the time about if his prices dipped and I distinctly remember him saying "that's not likely to happen" to me. Two months later the financial crisis started and my house value dropped and I was in negative equity but it was no problem - peaks and troughs - so I just sat it out.

Now at least someone has to be 'stress tested' so theoretically this should flow through to less defaults when rates rise as there should in theory anyway be less defaults.

In theory....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport