Housing benefit suspended

2»

Comments

• CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    shazm.69 wrote: »
    2 weeks ago my daughter her partner and their 2 children moved into my home after losing their home in spain. I told the HB office straight away they just said thats fine just bring in their details. 2 days later i had a letter saying my housing benefit was suspended. I panicked as i was due a payment the next day. I rang them and they said they needed proof that my daughter and her spanish partner were not employed.
    My daughter has since made a claim for income support so we have to wait for the offer letter before going back to the council. Her partner is not working here yet as he hasnt even got a national insurance number.
    This is really stressing me out on top of having a family of 4 living in my living room with absolutely no money. It feels like im getting penalised for being honest i wish i had waited 2 days now until after my payment was made. I have been told by the council not to worry it will be backdated but im worried it wont be and dont know how long it will take. This has come at the wrong side of christmas. I have even booked an appointment to see a doctor as i cannot cope with it all. I have 3 other children that also live with me and a 6 yr old that is so excited for christmas i cant tell her Santa has no money.
    I just need some advice on how long it will take for the suspension to be lifted and if it will be backdated please.

Hi
    Non dependant deductions apply when a non dependant adult is living with you. There is obviously a fine line between a short term guest and somebody "normally" living with you. If you don't agree with the council's interpretation then I suggest you go to your local CAB bureau for help on this.
    Once you have been able to prove your daughter and partner's income (or lack of it), any determination will be backdated. There's no simple answer to how long this takes - you can only ask your council. If you are in severe financial difficulty, one way forward could be to apply to the Social Fund for a crisis loan - you can apply through https://www.direct.gov.uk
    As your daughter is under 25, then no non dependant deduction would apply to her if she is awarded IS. If her partner is over 25 though, he may well attract the lowest level deduction which is currently £11.45 pw
    Hope this all helps
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • shazm.69
    shazm.69 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Thank you all for your very helpful advice :)
  • Things are going wrong again. My daughter had a phone call today saying she cannot claim income support as she has a partner. When she was advised at the job centre to claim this. She will now have to wait another 14 working days for this. She has absolutely no money now and neither do i. Im at my wits end as my housing benefit wont be sorted as we have to wait for her js offer. It doesnt make sense as soon they will have 2 homeless families. And me letting them stay with me is saving them money as they havent got to provide emergency shelter for them. This has all happened at the wrong side of christmas. My other children are suffering because of all this. I cry when i watch my 6 yr old writing her letters to santa bless her.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    edited 5 December 2012 at 10:57AM
    shazm.69 wrote: »
    Things are going wrong again. My daughter had a phone call today saying she cannot claim income support as she has a partner. When she was advised at the job centre to claim this. She will now have to wait another 14 working days for this. She has absolutely no money now and neither do i. Im at my wits end as my housing benefit wont be sorted as we have to wait for her js offer. It doesnt make sense as soon they will have 2 homeless families. And me letting them stay with me is saving them money as they havent got to provide emergency shelter for them. This has all happened at the wrong side of christmas. My other children are suffering because of all this. I cry when i watch my 6 yr old writing her letters to santa bless her.

Dear shazm
    I would advise you to contact your local CAB (you can get their details off https://www.citizensadvice.org,uk) -they should be able to give you advice and support by understanding the details of your problem better than can be done over the internet. Also they may well be able to put you in touch with local charities who could help make Christmas a little easier. Good luck.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • shazm.69
    shazm.69 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Everythings fine now they sorted it out quickly. And such lovely people in the offices too.
    Thanks for all the advice. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport