Linked Address on credit report

Hi

I hace recently had a few mortgage applications declined and I have since found out they were declined due to an address I was linked to.

My problem is that I was linked to this address through my ex-partner who moved to this address when we sepperated and changed her postal address on our joint account. The Halifax informed me that there was some bad debt linked to this address before my ex-partner moved there.

I have contacted experian who said they can not remove it from my file as Santander will not allow it as I am linked to my ex.

Now I am at a complete loss as to what to do next??? i have an excellent credit score and no bad debt of my own, nor have i ever had. i feel a little bit victimised here foe being linked to bad debt in a kind of third party way.

Any suggestions as to what to do next or where to go, I cant try other mortage companies because they will obviously find the same problem and lessen my credit score.

Thanks in advance for time

Kind regards

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    paulski1 wrote: »
    Hi

I hace recently had a few mortgage applications declined and I have since found out they were declined due to an address I was linked to.

My problem is that I was linked to this address through my ex-partner who moved to this address when we sepperated and changed her postal address on our joint account. The Halifax informed me that there was some bad debt linked to this address before my ex-partner moved there.

I have contacted experian who said they can not remove it from my file as Santander will not allow it as I am linked to my ex.

Now I am at a complete loss as to what to do next??? i have an excellent credit score and no bad debt of my own, nor have i ever had. i feel a little bit victimised here foe being linked to bad debt in a kind of third party way.

Any suggestions as to what to do next or where to go, I cant try other mortage companies because they will obviously find the same problem and lessen my credit score.

Thanks in advance for time

Kind regards

Irrespective of what Halifax may have said, debt is not linked to an address.

You may, however, be financially associated with another person who has bad debt. This actually appears to be the case here as Santander/Experian have confirmed to you.

Google the term 'financially associated' - that should help :)

You refer to the financially associated person as your ex, but are you actually divorced yet?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The above response is correct. If there is adverse info at the address in question and it is affecting you then it will either be in your name or the name of someone you're registered as financially linked to. Breaking any remaining financial link with your ex may well solve this and probably should be your. Once all ties have been cut you will need to let all three credit reference agencies know so they can update your records for you.

James Jones
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Hi guys

Thanks for your answers so far but I have just a bit more info for you. I was never married with my ex we just had a joint account together. when we sepperated I tried to close the account but I needed joint signatures and she never bothered and then moved an we lost contact (She moved to the address in question)

The Halifax have informed me that there was a defaulted loan linked to that address but that was before my ex moved there. I understand I am linked financially to my ex but how do I get away from being linked to this address???

Thanks again
  • Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    If you get the association removed the address doesn't matter, you aren't marked down for an address, credit is at an individual level. Is your ex has bad credit it will effect you until you get removed from the account and get your credit report updated accordingly.
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi Paulski1, thank you for your query regarding linked address
    An address cannot be blacklisted so the fact you have been linked to this address should not be the reason you have been rejected for a mortgage although a financial association with someone with a poor credit rating can aswell as making a lot of applications in a short amount of time. I would suggest you write to the credit reference companies as ask to be disassociated from your ex and write a complaint letter to Santander asking them to close the account or take your name off it. You can find more information about credit reports at www.adviceguide.org.uk
    Hope this is of assistance
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure