First car

2»

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Before going ahead with this, find out what your insurance premium is likely be when you pass your test - perhaps in 6 months time.

One way is to do 'dummy quotes' on the comparison sites (using a dummy name and slightly different address) - and push your DoB back 6 months, so that you appear to be 17.5 years old with a new full licence.

I suspect that you will be shocked by the premiums.

As silvertabby says, don't be tempted to get insured as a named driver if you will be the main driver. If you make a claim, based on all the circumstances you describe, it will be blindingly obvious to the insurance company what you have done.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    eddddy wrote: »
    Before going ahead with this, find out what your insurance premium is likely be when you pass your test - perhaps in 6 months time
    This. With knobs on.

Learner insurance looks cheap as chips but what will this firm charge to a newly passed driver?

It may be the worst of the lot and then charge you cancellation fees you could have saved by working out the best post-pass option.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    i recently passed my test and although i'm older (27) my premiums are still very expensive, around £950 per year.

learners insurance is probably worth it if you want the extra practice - just remember you must ALWAYS have someone in the car with you who has had a licence for at least 3 years.

when you do pass and look to have your own insurance, you need to be the main driver. but it does bring down your premiums if you add a parent as a named driver on the policy. i knocked around £20 a month off by adding my dad! so it's cheaper and he can also drive my car, although i am the main driver.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family