Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• thanks to nboldock for the excellent reply. I have also started writing since my recent retirement; have completed some short stories as well as a long memoir/autobiography. Does anyone know how a nobody like me can find a good but willing publisher/agent? Most of them are apparently only interested in celebrity memoirs but mine (I've been told) is well written ( I'm an ex teacher, musician..), and I've travelled all over the world and met some extraordinary people, including famous ones. Any ideas?
  • Zedkay
    Zedkay Posts: 17 Forumite
    If you've had work published, I'd suggest contacting an agent with a synopsis and three chapters, and mentioning your publications. If you haven't, it might be worth selecting sections of the memoir and contacting the editors of relevant magazines that might be interested in publishing. Any publications you get that way would work a) to persuade agents/publishers that there's an interest, and b) that your committed to what you're doing and will be willing to do the necessary work.

Good luck!

Z.
  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Try the 'artist and writers yearbook' it's got lots of useful info in it, it does take a little bit of digging through tho

cheers tabs is that a book??? have you got an isbn number???
    On a mission
  • fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    I bought the Writers Bureau course on Ebay for £15, and I am enjoying reading it. I recently had an article in Full House Magazine I just supplied the details to a free lance writer and they wrote the article and I received £150. In future now I will write my own and get the full fee. http://www.starnow.co.uk/Magazines-newspapers/index.htm
    This is a good site that advertises which Magazines are looking for articles/photographs etc. It really isa good way to make some extra cash
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • looks a good website i like the idea but would never want my name photo etc in a mag x
    Not setting myself any comp targets this year, didnt seem to work last year!!! £120.98/£2008
    2009/ maybyliene eyeshadow, rimmel polish, loreal foundation, Glamour: hairbrush
    boots card =2625
    quidoco= 110.00
    Thanks to all that take the time to post
  • catford
    catford Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    I've got some really good pictures of my son wearing the wrappers of a well known sweet maker.:D
    Say I sent copies to see if they were interested in buying/using them how can I be sure that they won't get used with no payment made?;)
  • fabwitch wrote: »
    I bought the Writers Bureau course on Ebay for £15, and I am enjoying reading it. I recently had an article in Full House Magazine I just supplied the details to a free lance writer and they wrote the article and I received £150. In future now I will write my own and get the full fee. http://www.starnow.co.uk/Magazines-newspapers/index.htm
    This is a good site that advertises which Magazines are looking for articles/photographs etc. It really isa good way to make some extra cash
    Wow! this looks like a great site!
    I will have a good peruse and probably join! I don't know if I've got what it takes, but have had letters published in local / national press and years ago had an article used for a magazine, so think I'll have a go!
    thanks again:j :j
  • catford wrote: »
    I've got some really good pictures of my son wearing the wrappers of a well known sweet maker.:D
    Say I sent copies to see if they were interested in buying/using them how can I be sure that they won't get used with no payment made?;)

Perhaps send them a small size digital version with your name stamped across the middle of the photo (like istockphoto do). Would make it difficult for them to use.
  • ali1972
    ali1972 Posts: 599 Forumite
    Writing letters to The Sun is good for £10 every week or so. Just keep it succinct (30 words, no more) and keep it relevent (check the headlines that day). You can email the letter (so no cost of stationery or a stamp) and you can access the articles online (no cost of a paper which I don't want to read anyway). When I can be bothered to do it regularly I find it does pay!

Also, the tips sections in Take a Break, That's Life etc do seem to be short of material. Well worth a go - particularly if you send a photo. I've had quite a few published. I have to say though, some of them must be made up by staff - especially the one that said "save money on spin drying by putting your freshly washed underwear in a salad spinner"... ugh!
    Yeah, whatever. I'm a grown up, I can take it...
  • Google writers market, there's loads of info on there for budding writers. All free once you have registered
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure