HELP - Compass Debt Counsellors - CREDITORS MEETING 30th March in Leicester

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Gilltheblackcat
    Options
    Fast cars,

in 2008, HRMC found an error with treatment of finance payments for their cars. an further investigation lasted 8 years after it was assured it had been corrected.

I cant help but think they would still be trading had the FCA not removed their permission to trade.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    A detailed account of the meeting here;

>>>> CLICK <<<<
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    Radio 4 You&Yours April 13th Listen AGAIN
    Good section about Compass and Abbey.
    LegalBeagles
  • Katyoda
    Katyoda Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 April 2016 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Hi I received a call from compass in late February telling me of this Great deal with Abbey. I received the letter and a standing order form from the solicitors which I signed !!!
    I then Found out on my own after trying to contact compass by phone and website that they went into liquidation, the next day I learned that they had not been paying my creditors for 3 months. I called Abbey and asked to talk to the person I was given to act on my behalf and told the would call me back. that did not Happen. I contacted my creditors to find out how much I owed individually. and found out that compass was paying themselves around the same amount, stupid of me.That was 2 weeks ago. I emailed today to cancel there agreement.. I received a call today around an hour later from Abbey and told them That I had called to the banks and got a ref number from Step Change, they told me that Step change where funded by the banks. which with a little research looks like it is true, but also abbey could not guarantee that the debt would be free in a year, I then asked if I could talk more and they said they would call me at 4.30pm that has not Happened.
  • fermi
    Options
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Katyoda wrote: »
    Hi I received a call from compass in late February telling me of this Great deal with Abbey. I received the letter and a standing order form from the solicitors which I signed !!!
    I then Found out on my own after trying to contact compass by phone and website that they went into liquidation, the next day I learned that they had not been paying my creditors for 3 months. I called Abbey and asked to talk to the person I was given to act on my behalf and told the would call me back. that did not Happen. I contacted my creditors to find out how much I owed individually. and found out that compass was paying themselves around the same amount, stupid of me.That was 2 weeks ago. I emailed today to cancel there agreement.. I received a call today around an hour later from Abbey and told them That I had called to the banks and got a ref number from Step Change, they told me that Step change where funded by the banks. which with a little research looks like it is true, but also abbey could not guarantee that the debt would be free in a year, I then asked if I could talk more and they said they would call me at 4.30pm that has not Happened.

Stepchange are funded by the banks, but there service to the public is completely free of charge, unless you opt for a formal debt solution, such as an IVA or Bankrupcy then there is a statutory fee to pay, but that is mandatory whoever you choose to represent you.

DMP's are free with stepchange.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    There is a 10 min bit on rip of britan (BBC1) featuring this company this morning, The compass bit is 13 mins in, can see it on catch up.
  • ShivasPlace
    Options
    Am I OK to post the interim update from 11th October here? It's about 2 pages of A4…
  • fermi
    Options
    Go for it.........

• ShivasPlace
    Options
    To All Known Creditors

Dear Sir/Madam,
    As you will be aware, Alan Simon of this office was appointed as liquidator of the above referenced
    company on 30 March 2016. Since the appointment we have endeavoured to address the
    voluminous correspondence received from clients of the business, both via email and post, in a
    timely manner. Whilst I appreciate that the circumstances of the company's demise has left many
    questions I would assure you that my staff and I are diligently investigating the company's affairs and
    indeed the conduct of the directors.

Creditors are advised that my statutory reporting obligations are set out in rule 4.49c of the of the
    Insolvency rules 1986 as follows:
    "{2} The prescribed period for which the liquidator must produce a progress report, except
    when the liquidator ceases to act, is the period of 1 year commencing on the date on which
    the liquidator is appointed and every subsequent period of 1 year"

Notwithstanding the above, given the nature of recent correspondence received from clients and
    creditors I have prepared this email to provide a brief synopsis regarding the progress of my
    investigations. You must however appreciate that given the complexity of this matter I am limited in
    the information I am able to provide as it could prejudice potential claims and actions I have
    identified.

Client Account Data
    You will recall from the information provided at the meeting of creditors held on 30 March 2016 the
    company migrated to a cloud based server in June 2014. All client data including individual account
    details {such as details of contributions and payments made to the clients' creditors) were included
    in the migration.

Upon my appointment I immediately entered into correspondence with the provider who facilitated
    and hosted the cloud. However, despite my efforts to recover the data, it transpired that it had
    been deleted in its entirety on 2 March 2016 following the failure of the company's monthly direct
    debit payment which was due on 29 February 2016. It further came to light that there was no back
    up of the data.

The provider argued that the company was in breach of its contractual obligations and accordingly
    their actions were justifiable given the circumstance.

Regrettably, despite seeking legal opinion on this matter, it has become apparent that given the
    paucity of funds in the estate it would be very difficult to pursue any action in this regard. In the
    circumstances I have no option other than to accept the position.

Given the above creditors will appreciate that we are unable to address enquiries about individual
    client accounts as we simply do not hold sufficient information from the company records in our
    possession.

Client Funds
    Following confirmation of my appointment I provided the company's bank with instructions to
    forward all credit balances for the benefit of the liquidation estate.
    I am pleased to advise that the sum of £24,365.38 has been recovered representing the balance held
    in the client account. These funds are currently held by my practice in a separate designated account
    These funds would ordinarily be distributed on a pari passu basis to clients however to provide a
    perspective, I would confirm that to date I am in receipt of claims in excess of £4 million from 761
    individual creditors. The costs of adjudicating each individual claim and distributing the funds would
    prove to be prohibitive and therefore I am currently seeking direction from the FCA
    (Financial Conduct Authority) and legal opinion on how best to deal with these funds.

Corporation Tax
    My team and I have diligently reviewed the company's available financial records and have identified
    a potential Corporation Tax refund. Accordingly, I have instructed accountants to deal with the
    preparation and submission of the relevant documentation to HM Revenue & Customs.
    This matter is currently ongoing therefore I am not able to provide any further information at this
    stage as it could prejudice my enquires. Further details will be provided in the 12 month report
    referred to previously.

Potential Claims
    During the course of my investigations I have identified several potential claims against the directors
    which I am currently pursuing. Again I am unable to provide specific information about these claims
    at this juncture as it could prejudice the outcome. I would however advise that I have instructed
    solicitors to assist me in relation to the recovery action against the directors.

It should be noted that both the accountants assisting with the Corporation Tax matters referenced
    above and the solicitors have been retained on a contingent fee basis, which means they will be paid
    if and when there are sufficient realisations from any source.

Whilst I can appreciate that many of you have suffered substantial financial losses as a result of the
    company's failure leaving many unanswered questions, I would ask that you consider the contents of
    this synopsis and remain assured that we are making every endeavour to find the answers for
    you. Having said that I would reiterate that given the complexity of the investigation and the time
    and resources already expended on this matter, historically cases of this nature can be protracted
    and therefore, I cannot at this stage state with any certainty, when the matters alluded to above,
    shall be concluded.

In closing I would remind you that all creditors shall receive a formal progress report dealing with
    the first 12 months of the liquidation by the end of May 2017.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure