PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is the cost of repair on me or my landlord?

Comments

• princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    a shower is clearly part of the fixtures and is the landlord's responsibility

To be honest, I don't know if a shower counts as an appliance or a fixture. I had been treating it as an appliance as it is a separate electric unit, which is not section 11 and can be contracted out of, but if it is not then it is the landlords section 11 reponsibility to repair after all.
  • GEEGEE8
    GEEGEE8 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    My landlady replaced my shower when it broke, cheapest Argos one, does the job fine and I believe it was done very quickly whilst i was out at work.

£30 argos shower, plus whatever a tradesman will charge to fit it.
    9/70lbs to lose :)
  • carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    To be honest, I don't know if a shower counts as an appliance or a fixture. I had been treating it as an appliance as it is a separate electric unit, which is not section 11 and can be contracted out of, but if it is not then it is the landlords section 11 reponsibility to repair after all.

Of course it's a fixture - unless it's one of those plastic tuby ones you slip over the taps that cost a few quid - as it is fixed. You couldn't just pick it up and walk off with it like a microwave, say. It's as fixed as the bath is fixed, or the curtain rail is fixed, or the light fitting is fixed. It's plumbed in and probably wired in too! How much more fixed (ie a fixture!) can it be?!
  • gingbeard
    gingbeard Posts: 123 Forumite
    Well, my LA have replied to my email telling me that as it is tenant maintained, it could have broken years ago, and there is nothing they can/will do
  • all_change
    all_change Posts: 118 Forumite
    In case this is of some use, was the shower listed inthe details for the property when you looked round?
    Was it mentioned at all when you viewed it?
  • gingbeard
    gingbeard Posts: 123 Forumite
    all_change wrote: »
    In case this is of some use, was the shower listed inthe details for the property when you looked round?
    Was it mentioned at all when you viewed it?

I wish I could remember - obviously the listing has now been removed from the site... So I cannot check
  • epsilondraconis
    epsilondraconis Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Gingbeard, if your LA is close by, perhaps you should pay them a visit 30 minutes before they close and tell them you'll wait until they have addressed the problem to your satisfaction. Then just sit there.
  • all_change
    all_change Posts: 118 Forumite
    gingbeard wrote: »
    I wish I could remember - obviously the listing has now been removed from the site... So I cannot check
    I guessed as much, sorry.
    I imagine the LA won't be inclined to co-operate even if they hold a copy (e.g. in case they need to re-let the property).
    Perhaps worth a quick check on right move or even google just in case there's something still loitering on the internet that hasn't been updated...
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Gilbert we are not idiots
    your spam will bring you no joy no one will click on your stupid links - your posts are going as quick as you put them up.....
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forget hassling the LA. You need to go direct to the LL as he is the one who will authorise the bill.

Sitting the LA's office might get you a phone call from the LA to the LL, but can't get you any more than that as there is physically nothing they can do without the LL's permission.

Hassle the LL direct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport