Ideas for a gift for my aunts and uncles

Hello there. I'm trying to think of a good inexpensive gift for my aunts and uncles.

Aunt no. 1's main interest is in antiques - she's an antiques dealer - and I got her a coffee table-style antiques photo book and price guide last year (she loved it). I can't get her a book two years in a row, even though I've spotted some she'd really like, and of course I can't get her actual antiques! I can't bake, so biscuits are off the menu (how punny), and I really can't think of anything else. I thought of wine, but wine delivery is very, very expensive.

Aunt no. 2 is a very good cook, so I thought I'd get her a cookbook. The problem is that she lives abroad, and I don't think I'd be getting the average cookbook through a "large letter" slot! I'm seeing her on a family holiday in early January so I could always give it to her then, but I feel that'd be a bit Scroogey.

Uncle no. 1 (Aunt no. 1's husband) I know very little about (I've never met either of them in person). Last year I just sent him fancy socks. This year I'm thinking of digging through the charity shops for a tie, but I don't know what sort of ties he wears and I don't want to make a misstep.

Uncle no. 2 (Aunt no. 2's brother) likes beer, but is teetotal for now, so I can't get him that. He likes exercise, long walks and the like, so I'm considering a fitness watch. Would anybody know of an inexpensive but reliable fitness watch?
Christmas Fund: £10/£70 (for the few remaining gifts + decorations)

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    magicdance wrote: »
    Hello there. I'm trying to think of a good inexpensive gift for my aunts and uncles.

Aunt no. 1's main interest is in antiques - she's an antiques dealer - and I got her a coffee table-style antiques photo book and price guide last year (she loved it). I can't get her a book two years in a row, even though I've spotted some she'd really like, and of course I can't get her actual antiques! I can't bake, so biscuits are off the menu (how punny), and I really can't think of anything else. I thought of wine, but wine delivery is very, very expensive. You can get her a book two years in a row. If thats what she would enjoy, that's what you get. And there are some prett good deals on wine - most supermarkets do 25% off 6 bottles (and have some decent bottles), as well as places like Virgin wines et al who usually have free delivery.

Aunt no. 2 is a very good cook, so I thought I'd get her a cookbook. The problem is that she lives abroad, and I don't think I'd be getting the average cookbook through a "large letter" slot! I'm seeing her on a family holiday in early January so I could always give it to her then, but I feel that'd be a bit Scroogey. Perhaps a voucher for books to spend in her home country? You don't state which country so that info would be useful.

Uncle no. 1 (Aunt no. 1's husband) I know very little about (I've never met either of them in person). Last year I just sent him fancy socks. This year I'm thinking of digging through the charity shops for a tie, but I don't know what sort of ties he wears and I don't want to make a misstep. Maybe just a gift set, ties can be very polarising and you can't hide them when wearing like you can with ugly socks, or you could ask your aunt what he likes. That would make more sense.

Uncle no. 2 (Aunt no. 2's brother) likes beer, but is teetotal for now, so I can't get him that. He likes exercise, long walks and the like, so I'm considering a fitness watch. Would anybody know of an inexpensive but reliable fitness watch? Again, could be a complete no-no with the watch, and you only get reliability with price. Perhaps a nice flask to take on his walks, a guidebook for a popular place, or a fitness hamper (there's a lot of places that do them).

See above.
  • I'm a demon snapper of of nice shopping bags as I can't giftwrap at all well. A good robust bag from a familiar-but-foreign country would be a fun variation on the usual fleet, so you might want to consider them?

Also, I've extended form for a nice mug stuffed with chocolates & again, by keeping an eye open you can find handsome mugs, charming mugs, amusing mugs, classic mugs - just fitting the mug to the person is the sticky bit. When one cousin showed up lactose intolerant, I switched to herbal teabags in the mug for her...

Cheap, moderately postable and simple fun.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I agree that you can definitely give books two years running; I love to read & would always be thrilled with books!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure