DWP - does it expect you to have a computer?

I am not a claimant myself but have been told that you are expected to have a computer (and email address) and a mobile phone as your means of contacting DWP (and vice versa).

Is that true? It’s very unfair on the many people who don’t have access to these things.

Comments

• This would depend on why you need to contact the DWP....

I am on benefits....ESA (support) and PiP

I have never once been asked to contact the DWP via computer...or by my mobile phone. ...They send me letters...I contact them either by post (returning forms) or by landline (my mother makes the calls as I do not use a phone)

I believe that some forms CAN be filled in online of that is your choice, but handwritten is still accepted.

But....The 'new' benefit...Universal Credit is designed to be claimed online....but if you do not have a computer you can either use someone else's...or go to the library to use one...or go to the Job Centre (also an option if you are computer illiterate)
  • trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Beenie wrote: »
    I am not a claimant myself but have been told that you are expected to have a computer (and email address) and a mobile phone as your means of contacting DWP (and vice versa).

Is that true? It’s very unfair on the many people who don’t have access to these things.

Spoke to a few claimants in the library over time so presumably yes you need have internet access of some kind. You'd be seriously disadvantaged for job search otherwise. I've seen staff from the dole teaching them.

As to the mobile phone ringing the DWP wih any regularity would cost a fortune.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure