2»

Comments

• sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2012 at 6:34PM
    gjchester wrote: »
    Which is why Apple usually check both external and internal sensor stickers.

The headphone jack on the 4 is on the top, the other external sensor is on the dock connector. rain on the heaphone jack alone would not be rejected.

I only have your word for the "fact" they check for 2 triggered sensors.

Even if true, it still means one of the sensors can be triggered too easily.

It still doesn't answer my question as to why they have now put the jack on the bottom of the phone, seems a bit daft, from a jack point of view to have it in the bottom of the phone, with the headphones in place, your phone will now be upside down! The only sense I can make of it is that it was setting off too many sensor triggers being on the top, as if a sensor is triggered more examination of the phone would be needed, which may not be needed.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    sniggings wrote: »
    I only have your word for the "fact" they check for 2 triggered sensors.

Even if true, it still means one of the sensors can be triggered too easily.

It still doesn't answer my question as to why they have now put the jack on the bottom of the phone, seems a bit daft, from a jack point of view to have it in the bottom of the phone, with the headphones in place, your phone will now be upside down! The only sense I can make of it is that it was setting off too many sensor triggers being on the top, as if a sensor is triggered more examination of the phone would be needed, which may not be needed.

Your rihgt you only have my work, I can't prove it, I don't work for apple so can't show you a policy document.

People can stop the "accidental" triggering by not using the phone in the rain when rain can get in. People use phones in the rain whne no-one would think of pulling out a laptop.

And your right the only reason Apple moved it to stop triggering it, nothing do do with a bigger screen and battery and the entire phone is smaller. By shrinking the dock connecot they made some space so the headphone jace (whcih can't be shrunk moved), and and the fact the vibrator motor is now where the headphones were. They've also standardised the placing on the ipod too. And it's probably better if your running as it's now the right way up to read the screen when running.,

The Iphone 5 sensor is inside the sim tray if Apple where so set on invalidating everyones warranty by water damage why did they move it to some where less likely to be accidentially triggered??
  • LG30
    LG30 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Your rihgt you only have my work, I can't prove it, I don't work for apple so can't show you a policy document.

People can stop the "accidental" triggering by not using the phone in the rain when rain can get in. People use phones in the rain whne no-one would think of pulling out a laptop.

And your right the only reason Apple moved it to stop triggering it, nothing do do with a bigger screen and battery and the entire phone is smaller. By shrinking the dock connecot they made some space so the headphone jace (whcih can't be shrunk moved), and and the fact the vibrator motor is now where the headphones were. They've also standardised the placing on the ipod too. And it's probably better if your running as it's now the right way up to read the screen when running.,

The Iphone 5 sensor is inside the sim tray if Apple where so set on invalidating everyones warranty by water damage why did they move it to some where less likely to be accidentially triggered??

Then obviously is a design flaw in the previous iPhones so they have admitted to the sensor needing moved?
  • sniggings
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2012 at 7:13PM

mate calm down, I didn't say Apple were doing anything, I was asking why the move and saying that the jack on the top was not the best place for a jack, using the phone in the rain and having water go down the jack is not the same as water damage, as the setting of the jack sensor does not mean the phone would be damaged, my point was it would be easier to get false sensors triggers when the jack was on the top.

Not sure what your running example is trying to prove, 1st I doubt apple would design an iphone with running in mind and 2nd even if they did, the jack being in the top doesn't make the iphone less user friendly or should I say runner friendly.
  • sniggings
    Forumite
    LG30 wrote: »
    Then obviously is a design flaw in the previous iPhones so they have admitted to the sensor needing moved?

that would be my guess as it's quite a big change, and does seem a daft place to have an open hole, on the top of the phone, add into that putting a sensor in there too, no wonder these sensors are going off.

There is a big difference in using the phone on a day to day basis and being refused a warranty repair because of water damage.

You could ask for the pics as they do send them out showing the damage, if it's quite bad then you may agree but if they just show you a triggered sensor I would not be happy.
  • cmatt
    cmatt Posts: 76 Forumite
    as others have said - if you can get to a repair centre try your luck there. Also book a genius bar appointment at the apple store.

To me it sounds more like a problem with the dock connector where the iphone thinks it is docked. Try adjusting the phones ringer using the volume buttons. If it is 'docked' when you press the buttons there will be no indicators showing up when you press up/down and it will just show 'ringer: ' I had the same issue and the only way round it was a swap out for another iphone.
  • LG30
    LG30 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Today I visited our nearest Apple store and told them my story about my iPhone. Within minutes of being there, they replaced my phone with a brand new iPhone FREE OF CHARGE!!!

Thank you Apple store in Braehead. I'm so glad I pursued my case and didn't just give in and pay the initial £110!!!

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport