Bits & Pieces is in Tatters

Options
I recently bought a present from Bits and Pieces and paid £4 for delivery. The web site states as a policy that the item will be dispatched within 48 hours. What is fails to inform is that the item is dispatched from the USA. When I phoned to ask why after 3 weeks it hadn't been delivered the lady on the phone stated (non apologetically), 'that it is because it is being sent from the USA'. WHY DONT THEY SAY THAT ON THE WEBSITE. when I asked the lady, 'is that it? she replied, 'what else do you want me to say'?. Good grief! Why didn't the lady apologise and offer a goodwill gesture? at least my delivery charge returned. why am I paying so much for delivery when it takes so long? Why is 'Bits & Pieces' still in business? Please don't use this terrible website!!!!!! my guess is that anything ordered now is at a big risk of not being delivered before Christmas.

Comments

• Ipswichme
    Options
    An update - 'Bits & Pieces' is truly demonstrating customer dissatisfaction at its best. We are now in our 4th week waiting for delivery from the USA for our gift.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    While it doesn't say that the products are coming from the US, it says allow 28 days for delivery. It's some slow delivery if they dispatch within 48 hours but take 4 weeks to get it across the country, so it's not a huge leap to assume they're shipping from abroad.

If you're in your 4th week, they're right on schedule if it turns up in the next few days!
  • Ipswichme
    Options
    I can only assume that you must be an employee of Bits & Pieces hence the misleading reply you have just provided.

My item is now well over the 28 days stated which contravenes the Bits & Pieces Terms & Conditions.To be clear Bits & Pieces say on their T&Cs, 'Your order will normally be despatched within 48 hours of its receipt, although you should allow up to 28 days for delivery depending on where you live'. In other words, the website does not inform customers that items are dispatched from the USA and will take 28 days if you live in the UK.

Most people would interpret (based on an online survey I have carried out) that being dispatched within 48 hours the item will be dispatched in the UK and arrive only a few days later

So, back to my original comment, I have paid £4 delivery for an item that has exceeded the upper delivery period of 28 days stated and as yet the item remains 'not delivered'.

The customer services department did not apologise for misinforming customers when I explained my issue.

If anyone was to use Bits & Pieces now for Christmas delivery then Best of British luck to them!!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    How can you be in the 4th week of waiting yet be over the 28 day limit...
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Ipswichme wrote: »
    I can only assume that you must be an employee of Bits & Pieces hence the misleading reply you have just provided.

Predictable!
    Ipswichme wrote: »
    Most people would interpret (based on an online survey I have carried out) that being dispatched within 48 hours the item will be dispatched in the UK and arrive only a few days later

!!!!!!? :rotfl:

I'm sensing a meatballs moment ...
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Who are these 'poll people'?...they obviously don't read shipping/delivery when spending their money.

Sorry but I would expect them to dispatch in 48hrs and wait up to 28 day's for delivery. most if not all online retailers state up to 28 day's....
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A few points:

1 - Speaking from experience the US postal service is snail-like. It can take several weeks just to receive a letter sent from another state and exactly why UPS and FedEx are so prevalent. I once posted a parcel in the UK in early November and it arrived in California on Valentine's Day!

2 - I have never seen a UK company put EST next to their opening hours because it relates to Eastern Standard Time ie Eastern seaboard of the United States. You obviously assumed that because the site was one with the suffix .co.uk that it is based in this country and have now learned the hard way that the time to research a site is before placing an order.

3 - Depending on the value of the order you might also find that you will be asked to pay customs and handling charges.

4 - Completely laughable to accuse a long term member of MSE of being an employee of the company. Very little (actually zero) sympathy for you after making such a stupid comment.

5 - Mmmmmmmm meatballs ............. :T
  • janiebquick
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    I'm sensing a meatballs moment ...

Meatballs, Premier Inns, UKASH. Any I've missed?:D
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £4 postage for something from the US is very little.

Have you considered that the reason your parcel isn't here yet, is that it might be held up at customs? Therefore, it's not Bits and Pieces' fault that you haven't received it yet.

(And i don't work for them either. In fact, I'd never heard of them until your post.)
  • Ipswichme
    Options
    Some quick clarifications - Bits & Pieces portray themselves as a UK gift company with a UK website NOT USA.

The item was ordered on the 4th November hence now over 28 days delivery timeframe

My interpretation of a statement saying 'dispatched within 48 hours' is positive and suggests that the item will be delivered fairly promptly. My interpretation of a T&C clause stating 'up to 28 days' is that this is fairly standard and a 'get out clause' to cover themselves in case the item is not in stock or they have supplier/supply chain issues. The Bits & Pieces T&Cs do not say that items are subsequently shipped from a depot from a separate continent.

Therefore based on the very limited information provided by Bits & Pieces I don't think many people would consider that £4 is good value for money because the item is being shipped from the USA. What an unusual way of looking at it. Maybe you are right, I should now be thinking how lucky I am that the parcel has come from so far away for so little money.

The telephone no of the Bits & Pieces UK website does not state EST, instead it registers as 0871 472 4277 . This is normal for a UK company.

No I haven't considered delays from Bits & Pieces UK due to USA customs for the reasons stated above. Now you mention it, there could be a whole multitude of reasons relating to other unlikely scenarios such as CIA interception or impoundment by the UN due to an unreasonable carbon footprint - approx. 5000km for delivery (caveat - depending on where it came from in the US).

I don't like meatballs although IKEA ones are OK.

I'm sensing that everyone is an employee of Bits & Pieces - help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure