Making small investments to build up to big

Hi there,

I am currently earning around 17-20k per year, all of my bills at the end of each month come to £500. I am looking to save around 5-7k this year. What can I do with that money,what are the best small investments to make.

I want to go into property investment in the next couple of years so looking to save up to 20k just need to grow my money.

Comments

• Hi there,

I am currently earning around 17-20k per year, all of my bills at the end of each month come to £500. I am looking to save around 5-7k this year. What can I do with that money,what are the best small investments to make.

I want to go into property investment in the next couple of years so looking to save up to 20k just need to grow my money.

We're in same boat.

I opened a bank with First Direct (£125 incentive) with its regular saver (6% AER) and 2 x TSB (5% AER each). I plan to do loophole with switch incentives. Should be enough for 2015.
    You will only fail to learn if you do not learn from failing.

Save 2015 - #097 £600/£7000
    CC Outstanding #1: £2544 02/2017 #2: £398 09/2015 #3: £363 08/2015
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Investing isn't a good idea if you need the money in 2 years. You could do it but there is the risk that your money has dropped when you need to use it.

Investment would normally be considered for 5 years or more.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    for the long term, investing samll will be a great idea.

So join any work pension ther eis with an employers contribution. As there will be FREE money involved so take it.

Second, I had 3 kids under 4 incl twins in nappies and could not work due to CC costs. So all i could afford to invest each month was the CB. and 25 then 50 a month turned into tens of thouseands over the decades since. As it was a small amt of money I never missed it.

So do this alongside of saving for a property pipe dream. hedge your bets/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport