Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Comments

• erm theres more to pyramid selling that not having a product actually - if the entire sales technique is about getting more customers and financial reward of gaining more customers , rather than the benefits of the product then it is pyramid selling. again see the fair trade act.

the video linked above is actually `part 2` and about the benefits of being a reseller - part 1 is off camera and the direct selling of the product in question (you can get x product at y prices but take more services and it gets cheaper - oh btw you know you can make money)

but , like alot of MLM - its on `thin ice` where the direct sales are concerned - if the saleman pushes the making money side in the first instance (and primary benefit) then it does become pyramid selling (pay money to make money - oh yeah you get electric from us as well but look at the money to be made)

a subtle difference but thats the thin line.
  • keggs
    keggs Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2011 at 2:01PM
    With all due respect ALL business is about getting customers. Employees are paid to sell. ID's are paid to gather customers. What's the difference?

I am a dance teacher and a writer - they are my major livings. If I employed someone do it (which I don't) it is because I want to get paid as much as possible without having to do all the work myself. It's called being in business.MLM is just the same. There is just one difference - one - there are no middlemen: Just teh company - the distributor and the customer.

Traditional businesses pay wholesalers, retail shops and however many people in between. That's why MLM companies can pay the IDs so much money. You can quote all the regualations you like, but the fact remains if UW and any other established company are breaking the law they would be closed down. End of.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2011 at 2:03PM
    ....the video linked above is actually `part 2` and about the benefits of being a reseller - part 1 is off camera ......

"Part 1" of the gullible Spanish Teachers encounter with UW is here (note their reps are taught to use the word "ethical" in their presentation!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZcBC0Kf9k
  • none - thats how every business expands - but being direct selling , thats the line between hard sell of the product and hard sell of the money making benefit (in the first contact) - 1 is legal and 1 isnt quite so. You sell a tangible product not the chance to make even more money (that the benefit of the club)

with a customer base of 350,000+ it would seem quite a few are happy with the benefits (and im guessing for electric and gas mostly those offline and on standard tarrifs); so for some it is a good idea and of benefit and for others , not quite so.
  • Quentin wrote: »
    "Part 1" of the gullible Spanish Teachers encounter with UW is here (note they are taught to use the word "ethical"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR_bd_b16PM&feature=related

thats the same video you linked earlier.
  • Quentin
    thats the same video you linked earlier.

Link fixed now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZcBC0Kf9k
  • thank you - its a standard direct selling video , with selling up for `addons`, and he does only mention the reseller part after he`s made the sale.
  • Quentin
    More recruiting here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfZL3tTrlH8

How the money works (????)
  • HalloweenJack
    HalloweenJack Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2011 at 2:27PM
    its an MLM scheme , can see how it works.

and as long as its product , then as in the first video`s - come back at another time for the `money making` side - then its legal and fine.

edit:

but bare in mind - like other direct sales @home schemes (betterware , anne summers , party light etc) selling a product face to face - its not as easy as alot of ppl think.
  • HalloweenJack, that's not the reaction Quentin was looking for - you're supposed to be absolutely outraged :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback