PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The instruction about keeping the yeast away from the salt is primarily there for times when you leave the machine on a delayed start using the timer because the salt kills off the yeast. If you're mixing straight away it's not a problem. After all, as soon as the machine starts mixing they end up next to each other.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    I had a disaster yesterday. A friend came to visit so there I was, kitchen immaculate and the gorgeous smell of bread from the machine. Friend sat there drooling so I offered him the loaf but unfortunately for him he couldn't stay long enough to wait for it. So, machine finished, opened lid, flat loaf. Took it out, not mixed. The paddle thing had fallen off. Lucky friend!!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    roflani.gifI know I shouldn't laugh but I couldn't help it :)

Every recipe in my book has been modified to say:-

Put the paddle in FIRST!

I've also forgotten to put the yeast in too.

I'm thinking of building a new garden wall with my concrete loaves :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've given it another crack today.

I couldn''t check my kitchen scales cos I have nothing light enough that's unopened. But I had a bit of a brainwave instead. I took my letter scales to the kitchen (I'm currently self employed and weigh letters before posting), placed a very light bowl on top, reset the dial to 0, and checked that flour. There was more than 500g left, so my scales were mis-weighing - they were under-weighing the flour!

As my newly located breadmaker book says to put the liquids in first, that's what I did ... and we still have around 2 hrs to go, but at least it looks right this time.

While I had the letter scales converted, I also made some cakes (turned an 18-fairy cake recipe into a 12-muffin-sized cake one and added luxury mixed fruit I hadn't used at Xmas - ah, but as I really do like hot cakes, when Misterholic comes in I'll have to tell him I made 10 - they don't know what fairy cakes are in this village as their "buns" are the size of muffins), and I've added a tin of mandarin segments to an orange jelly. This may seem like the waste of a perfectly good pudding, but we're more likely to eat the mandarins in a jelly than on their own.

So thanks again for all the help and suggestions. Had I been "on my own" I may have just given up. :j
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Let us know how it turns out :)

Silly question. Of course you will :)
  • spendaholic
    squeaky wrote:
    Let us know how it turns out :)

Silly question. Of course you will :)
    What ARE you trying to say?

A girl could get paranoid you know. :D
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • spendaholic
    ... the loaf is fine. :T

So my next question is ... my bread machine book recommends that I slice the bread before freezing. Are there any domestic-sized bread slicers on the market?

I've used that Lakeland guide but it's not very good - or I'm not good with it - but how would I slice a whole loaf before freezing?
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I only got my bread maker last Friday and have stuck rigidly to the the rules in the book that came with it. So far (and several loaves later) it's all been okay and I've used butter and strong white or wholemeal flour. Somehow the water seems to stay on top of the flour - I thought that it would soak through. I am going to experiment with using olive or sunflower oil instead of butter as a token gesture to being healthier (!). I just wanted my first effort to be a success so that OH would eat it!
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ... the loaf is fine. :T

So my next question is ... my bread machine book recommends that I slice the bread before freezing. Are there any domestic-sized bread slicers on the market?

I've used that Lakeland guide but it's not very good - or I'm not good with it - but how would I slice a whole loaf before freezing?

I bought the Lakeland slicer as well since I'm hopeless at cutting bread properly. Not really mastered it yet - certainly not for anything thinner than slices suitable for toast!!!! They (Lakeland) also have the Kenwood electric one but it's quite expensive at just under £30 :eek: . Besindes, I can just see my fingers getting sliced as well as I imaging it would cut quite fast.
  • tillymint
    tillymint Posts: 164 Forumite
    Can anyone help with a recipe for a "Soreen" type malt loaf to make in a breadmaker? I tried one today but it's turned out more like a fruit loaf than a nice dark sticky malt loaf.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure