We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Argos garden furniture. A real discount?

Options
kah22
kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
I've been looking at buying some garden furniture, a four or six seater table and chair set. I've been to visit Homebase, B&M, and heading off to B&Q this weekend

Anyway this morning I was looking up the Argos website and came across a number of discounted items e.g THIS SET it is suggesting a £170 saving (I'm only using this particular set as an example) what I'm wondering though is this a real discount or a fake discount. It's amazing the amount of furniture that is sold at 'half price' ‼️

Any advice on garden table and chair sets welcomed

As always many thanks for any advice

Kevin

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It does seem to be a genuine reduction, but it's only a bargain if it's exactly what you are looking for.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a glass top table with a bargepole. No doubt someone else will pop up to say that it will be toughened glass and so perfectly fine - but I've seen the after effects of a (toughened) glass topped conservatory table being struck at the wrong angle. The 'safety' aspect of this glass is that it shatters into small, non-lethal, pieces - but the same can't be said of anything and everything that happens to be on the table at the time!
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 March 2017 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Appreciate what you are saying about the glass top Silvertabby and I appreciate your view on the reduction. It's just when you see do many furniture reductions by 50% that you begin to doub any furniture price 🤓
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I stumbled on this site the other day. Can't say how accurate it is but may give you an idea of prices it has been.

https://www.pricehistory.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport