Job References

Options

Comments

• Debtfreemoo
    Options
    Thank you for that :)
    Didn't realise it could be drawn out for up to a month eeeek
    Just had a colleague messaging me saying 'heard your leaving, when will it be' etc
    I just hope it's all done and dusted quickly, rather then it dragging if my previous employer doesn't get the email/ignores the email etc

Can I also ask, if prev enolyer refuses; what would your authority do ?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Undervalued
    Options
    Thanks in advance.

I suspect most would act as liviboy has suggested.

What it really comes down to is whether or when the prospective employer decides, rightly or wrongly, that the lack of response is deliberate rather than accidental!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem I have though is that the Companies I worked with that are big enough to have a HR department. Will not even give a Reference. Others I have worked with through an agency will not give one as I wasn't employed by them.
    Those agencies are reluctant as they then lose me for further contracts and even then I have never actually worked with those in the agencies office.
    One Big Company gave a reference that only consisted of the Day I started and the day I left.
    Others are companies where the only people I worked with were like me on short term contracts on a site 100's of miles away from HQ whom I've never seen again.
    I am volunteering but have yet to build up enough relationships to be confident that they could give a reference yet.

It was fine Fifteen years ago, you went to an Employer, asked for a Job, they gave you a week to try it out. 9/10 This is was successful.

I worked for fifty years in a variety of jobs and, IME, that's never been the normal way of doing things.
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks in advance.

I honestly don't know. Although unless you were VERY unfortunate (for whatever reason), I would assume most employers would give some form of reference such as that mentioned already (X worked here from X until X). Indeed that was my reference from a weekend job at B&Q when I moved to a different job during my student days.

The offer is subject/conditional to a satisfactory reference check, it would therefore be assumed you wouldn't put down the employer you stole the money in the safe from haha!

I think the key just now is stop worrying! Let the process run. The chance of a complete refusal is slim, the chance of a "bad" reference even slimmer (yes folks, they are allowed as long as it is a true reflection!). And to be honest, they may be happy with a single reference but asked for 2 just in case of any problems/delays/etc.

Remember they want you to start as soon as possible, it's not in their interests to delay you!
  • I have no Idea why Employers even bother with references anymore.
    I mean if you can get ones you are hardly going to list ones that will give you a bad one are you.
    How many are fake?
    My other let down is I am honest, I cannot lie. If they ask me about a previous job I tell the truth & that Employer will also know ho I felt in that job.

They don't mostly in the private sector. If people aren't able to fully complete an application form then perhaps they should leave it there.
    I feel sure somehow going forward, the likes of Social media is going to play a big part in getting it checked out where you may have worked etc, professional platforms like LinkedIn needs to be more uterlised etc for obtaining back up confirmation of skills there and then.

I list some of my longest employers still even though they prob wouldn't answer - in the case of one there's no HR department, there is no letter headed paper for the self employed, (sorry) maybe iliterate boss to write a reference. I keep hold of the lot bank statements, payslips, HMRC notices to prove where I had worked. That's not lying or feeling like never being able to state having worked somewhere.

I'll hope for the OP it's just some paranoia setting in - had 5 years check able v recently never heard a peep after I was the same. No response from who I imagined would be first to reply when I too did the round robin of asking in advance who could help provide a reference. I left the most reference check able job in the end but certainly not over references. (never did find out if any were outstanding!)
  • Debtfreemoo
    Options
    12 days after References went out and my previous employer has still not responded to it �� The HR are sending another email
  • YouAsked
    YouAsked Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    12 days after References went out and my previous employer has still not responded to it �� The HR are sending another email

They ignored the first email so HR sending a second email? And they'll wait AGAIN for a response?

I often think so much time and effort could be saved if people just picked up phones etc.
  • Debtfreemoo
    Options
    They sent reference again on Monday and then on Wednesday my prospective manager rang me asking me to chase it up. I rang them but they was out, left message to call or email me and then I emailed them also. Had zilch reply ! So think I'll have to give them name of another reference next week
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    They sent reference again on Monday and then on Wednesday my prospective manager rang me asking me to chase it up. I rang them but they was out, left message to call or email me and then I emailed them also. Had zilch reply ! So think I'll have to give them name of another reference next week
    Offer another reference when they ask, or when they say it is a problem. Do not just offer it, or they may think you know that the employer is refusing a reference. That may set alarm bells ringing. This is the previous employers reference. The one they will see as most important. If they don't get it then that will not be helpful for you, and offering to provide another reference instead may sound fishy.

If you must chase, chase the former employer. If you have to, go see them or ring and leave so many messages that they write the reference to get rid of you!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    I have lost touch with many former colleagues who may have given me one in the job's I was good at and enjoyed.
    Thus I am forced to into giving details of friends and relatives who's details I can remember while filling in application forms(these cannot be submitted without the references section completed) just so I am able to submit the application I often do not tell them I have done so as the answer might be ''I cannot''. or truthfully ''be bothered''.
    I don't have many close friends or a big social circle and am no longer in touch with the ones I was anymore.

Sorry, you give the names of friends and relatives as referees? Do you mean pretending these are previous employers and expecting them to lie for you and give a reference saying you worked for them? :eek::eek:

Instead of rank dishonesty, how about you just look up the contact details of your real former employers and store these on your phone or computer so you have them to hand when filling out your application forms. So what if your line manager has left the company, the company itself can still give a reference confirming you worked there. Miles better than getting a job under false pretences and then being sacked a few weeks in when they realise that your cousin or best friend gave you a reference and you've never worked for them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure