The Road to Financial Security

Options

Comments

• cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The garden can be a money pit. Are you growing anything you can eat? I am consoling myself that at least I will save money on herbs.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • Pushkin
    Pushkin Posts: 795 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Cookie - not me as I'm too scared and have just bought some plants to put in pots. DH is planning to grow some herbs or veggies - needs to do proper research first though I think! He is quite excited about the veggie trug though and has just built it :D

If I can keep my new plants alive I'll branch out - do you like my pun there! :T

I bet having food you have grown yourself is very satisfying !
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your OH wants to try growing, I'd say courgettes are a good starter plant. You can grow them in pots (just one plant per large-ish pot) and assuming a fairly warm summer you get tons of veg from one plant. All you have to do is keep them well watered. I think it's too late to grow from seed this year but the garden centres usually have plants already growing.

Very good news that you're still on course for your saving target and well done to your husband and dad for putting up a shed without shouting at each other (assuming they didn't shout at each other). My OH and I put up quite a large shed this year and I did a lot of holding my tongue!
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • Pushkin
    Options
    Hi Amycool - I'm impressed you worked with your OH to put the shed up - I stay well clear of things like that as my DH and I just argue!

I'll mention the courgette idea when he gets in as something to start with - DS unfortunately will be horrified as they are his least favourite vegetables! :rotfl:
  • Pushkin
    Options
    1st of the month so the mortgage sneaks down a little bit more:money:

I did try and budget more carefully this month but have just ordered £2k of Euros (ouch!) more than we need for our French holiday next month but I think the rate is so good at the moment it's worth getting some surplus that we can keep and probably use next year or next time we go to a Eurozone country.

Maybe I'll count that in with savings :D So will have to do some jiggling to pay for that now.
  • Pushkin
    Options
    Wilting in this heat and feeling exhausted, although work was very stressful this week so that might be the reason.

Haven't got the energy to start getting quotes for having the lounge redecorated, might just hold off on that a couple of weeks.

Garden spending is also finished for a while although we will get some more trees/plants maybe in the autumn.

Off to get my feet done this morning - I know its not MSE but have to have little treats and this looks so much better and lasts so much longer than when I do it myself.

;)
  • Pushkin
    Options
    Feeling very ploddy right now, I think the shine has worn off and all the quick wins have been made in terms of finding cost savings.

Shouldn't moan as we are very fortunate to still have some of our 'house investment' money left and I'm more than aware that we have been spending on the house and its improvements.

I suppose it has all just become routine and a bit dull, it's harder to find lower priced alternatives and get the adrenaline rush.

I shouldn't moan, slow and steady wins in the end huh.
  • cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you just have to see it as a marathon and not a sprint. You have made good progress so far.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with what Cookie says. You have done so well so far - don't get downhearted :)
  • Pushkin
    Options
    Thanks the the support Cookie and Bookworm, I think I'm just feeling a bit bleugh (thats the technical term :D) all round at the moment. Plus given that work isn't the greatest again progress feels a bit slow - I'd love to fast forward it!

Also annoyed with a trickle of unexpected spends recently (e.g new dishwasher) and now DH has announced he needs new break pads for his car and will book it in next week.:eek:

Do appreciate your comments :beer::T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport