Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• Flip GTST, did not know you were an expert in this area :T:T:T

I'm far from an expert in any area :rotfl: as my hubby will tell you!

We found it handy if only to change what we needed to change. I was known to load sterling on it at the till and then convert it there and then. The other aspect that we've found useful is that we're converting some money each month for a trip to the US in June in an attempt to even out any currency fluctuations (it also stops you from dipping in of course lol!)

Whether we get any problems in the US though will be anybody's guess.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    the ludicrous £5.70 ATM withdrawal fee levied by Thailand's ATM network on foreign VISA/Mastercard cards.
    You made me think that the fee has been raised again already, but I checked four banks' ATMs this evening and they are still charging Bt.220 (£5.05) - ludicrous enough, but perhaps the pound is stronger since you last looked.

However I did notice that Kasikornbank offered me a DCC rate of 40.09 (mid-rate now 43.64) on the same screen as the fee warning. So there were three options - Proceed With Conversion (with fee) / Proceed Without Conversion (with fee) / Cancel. Perhaps the other Thai banks also offer DCC on the next screen after you accept the fee, I was not going to risk proceeding to find out.

Revolut is not so useful in Thailand because their normally perfect interbank rates are not applied to Thai baht.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    The last time we went, we got a Saga credit card which had no fees for ATM/purchases - but this was 4 years ago which is a world away!
    eDicky wrote: »
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards

Also https://loot.io/

Note that ATMs in Thailand charge Bt.220 (£5) for use of a foreign card.
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    If you have the right credit card, such as Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, Santander Zero and Barclaycard Travel Platinum, some banks will allow to to take a cash advance over the counter, avoiding the ludicrous £5.70 ATM withdrawal fee levied by Thailand's ATM network on foreign VISA/Mastercard cards.

.....and get one or two of these; https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/

Thanks, I have a zero debit card. I have read Santander site, which was a little confusing so I have e-mailed them asking for clarity.

I have just made the application for Halifax Clarity. I am thinking of also applying for the Barclays card (one for purchases and one for case withdrawal) and will look into starlingbank, but if I can avoid I don't want to put money up front (as there is nothing left after flights/accommodation... :o)

I am considering applying for another card whilst I am away so that I can transfer some of the spending to this and delay final payment (we are pushing the boundaries of our finances. Do people think that this is doable?

Thanks
  • Sunshinemummy
    GTST - you are so planned. I am trying to plan but feel like I am winging it!

I set OH the task of sorting travel insurance - he is having a melt down. Good job I did not ask him to book two lots of flights from UK to Thailand, accommodation, fights for 4 to Singapore, accommodation, make sure the kids have booked the right time off work, that we are in the right place for the right time, with the right flipping culturally acceptable gifts in the right flipping colours for the right people. Rant over :):):):):)
    You made me think that the fee has been raised again already, but I checked four banks' ATMs this evening and they are still charging Bt.220 (£5.05) - ludicrous enough, but perhaps the pound is stronger since you last looked.

However I did notice that Kasikornbank offered me a DCC rate of 40.09 (mid-rate now 43.64) on the same screen as the fee warning. So there were three options - Proceed With Conversion (with fee) / Proceed Without Conversion (with fee) / Cancel. Perhaps the other Thai banks also offer DCC on the next screen after you accept the fee, I was not going to risk proceeding to find out.

Revolut is not so useful in Thailand because their normally perfect interbank rates are not applied to Thai baht.

Flip, it is like a foreign language. I googled DCC rate - and got Dundee County Council!..... then scrolled down to Derby County Council, before eventually finding Dynamic currency conversion. I assume that this is the banks giving lower rates, but don't really understand what to do. What I had read is that when we are given the option to convert now or later - we do it now.

Please fee free to shout at me.... every little helps

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Dynamic currency conversion. I assume that this is the banks giving lower rates, but don't really understand what to do. What I had read is that when we are given the option to convert now or later - we do it now
    Always transact in the local currency. Let your bank convert to sterling, not the foreign bank.

And get your travel insurance sorted fast.
  • Sunshinemummy
    edited 9 January 2018 at 12:46AM
    Always transact in the local currency. Let your bank convert to sterling, not the foreign bank.

And get your travel insurance sorted fast.

OH is getting really stressed about it.

Not sure if this is :( or :rotfl:

He has given up and gone to bed!!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dynamic currency conversion. I assume that this is the banks giving lower rates, but don't really understand what to do.
    Searching this forum for DCC, instead of google, should turn up plenty of info. I mentioned it because I had not previously noticed it on Thai bank ATMs in addition to their fee.

The rule when using a fee-free card is to decline DCC whenever it is offered, by selecting "Without Conversion" (or similar) on an ATM, and selecting to pay in the local currency when a payment terminal gives the choice. Then your card/bank converts your pounds at the ideal MasterCard or Visa rates, instead of the local bank/merchant having tricked you into accepting their own terrible rate.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just made the application for Halifax Clarity. I am thinking of also applying for the Barclays card (one for purchases and one for case withdrawal) and will look into starlingbank, but if I can avoid I don't want to put money up front (as there is nothing left after flights/accommodation... :o)

I'm not sure I would b e comfortable leaving the UK, even within Europe, if my finances were balanced on such a knife edge.

Actually, I know I wouldn't be comfortable.
  • Sunshinemummy
    Searching this forum for DCC, instead of google, should turn up plenty of info. I mentioned it because I had not previously noticed it on Thai bank ATMs in addition to their fee.

The rule when using a fee-free card is to decline DCC whenever it is offered, by selecting "Without Conversion" (or similar) on an ATM, and selecting to pay in the local currency when a payment terminal gives the choice. Then your card/bank converts your pounds at the ideal MasterCard or Visa rates, instead of the local bank/merchant having tricked you into accepting their own terrible rate.

Thanks that is helpful
    I'm not sure I would b e comfortable leaving the UK, even within Europe, if my finances were balanced on such a knife edge.

Actually, I know I wouldn't be comfortable.

I know the feeling. I am used to being comfortable within our rather frugal life.

We have had a difficult financial year, we had agreed to pay for DS2 masters degree, then the car died so newish car (much needed and saving money each week as I drive hours each day, and we got the cheapest/economical car), then DS1 proposes and decides to get married in Singapore and Thailand, so we have to cover DS2 and DS3s costs, and as I am an agency worker (in the same job for 6 years so very stable) but recently my take home was cut with IR35 (we still live well under my income - ooh did I say I am the only income in the household, OH gets a small pension) but I don't get paid when I am away. So it is a build up of things over the year.

Despite all of this, the wedding cannot be missed. I have paid for the 4 flights to Thailand, then Singapore, the accommodation in both places, parking. Just need to find cost effective insurance.

On the positive side, we have absolutely no debts except a small mortgage. I have never purchased anything that I have not been able to pay in full, so transferring a debt to another card is right out of my comfort zone.

If he divorces I will kill him.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You do need to get your travel insurance sorted as soon as possible. It should really have been done when you booked the first component of your trip, or before.

You risk losing a lot of money otherwise.

If you need any advice on Singapore, I may be able to help. I was there last week.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback