PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Vendor wants to leave things in garage

Options

Comments

• Elle_Woods
    Options
    If the OP actually wanted to make use of that garage space immediately, I'd agree that it would be a neutral act to refuse to suffer pain/inconvenience yourself in order to avoid somebody else suffering similarly.
    It's perfectly acceptable to ask for a favour, just as it's perfectly acceptable for the other person to decline.

From my (admittedly selective!) quoting of your posts ThePants999, I think many of our views on this are fairly similar. My objection was to the suggestion that the person being asked is wrong to decline and should feel bad about doing so.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Elle_Woods wrote: »
    From my (admittedly selective!) quoting of your posts ThePants999, I think many of our views on this are fairly similar. My objection was to the suggestion that the person being asked is wrong to decline and should feel bad about doing so.
    Absolutely. I still stand by "mean spirited", but "mean spirited" doesn't mean "wrong" :) More like... "Jesus would have preferred you picked the other option, but you still get to go to heaven" or something, I guess :D
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely. I still stand by "mean spirited", but "mean spirited" doesn't mean "wrong" :) More like... "Jesus would have preferred you picked the other option, but you still get to go to heaven" or something, I guess :D

The problem is that you can't have any idea of what sort of impact asking can have on the person who you need the favour from so in the long run it is just better not to ask. It is one of those things where you can't tell what else is going on in the buyer's life because you don't know them well enough.

What you are doing is asking quite a big favour of someone who you don't really know. So you don't know anything about their life. In many cases I think it would be better for the buyer not to be put into the position where they have to say no. Which is why I am suggesting that leaving stuff behind should not ever be considered.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    Options
    Okay, I think I understand your position a bit better now. I still disagree with it, though. I think it's reasonable to expect others to be able to evaluate for themselves the impact of acquiescing to a request, and to say no if that impact is too great, so I don't think we should all be holding back from asking favours just in case we're dealing with someone who can't say no.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    We are talking about a garden. You can't come back and take plants out of a garden after completion.
    We're talking about plants in pots, not plants in the ground (which would be different).
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    Okay, I think I understand your position a bit better now. I still disagree with it, though. I think it's reasonable to expect others to be able to evaluate for themselves the impact of acquiescing to a request, and to say no if that impact is too great, so I don't think we should all be holding back from asking favours just in case we're dealing with someone who can't say no.

The problem with the request in these circumstances is that it shouldn't need to be asked. Asking a virtual stranger for a favour that only really suits one person in a situation where you don't know what else is in the person's life and you shouldn't really be asking anyway.

Basically I don't think that most people would ask someone they met in the street on a few occasions if they could leave something in the garage of that person's house. They would think it was a bit rude and would probably want to get to know the other person a bit better before asking. In the case of a buyer they are just like the person you have met in the street a couple of times and yet you are asking if you can leave something in their garage. I don't think that people realise that the house buying and selling doesn't make them close friends with their buyer. They are asking a virtual stranger to do them an big favour. It doesn't benefit the buyer at all for this to happen.

I also don't think that someone asking to leave something for two weeks ever thinks about it from the point of view of the buyer. How many people want a stranger to leave something in their garage with a promise to pick it up in 2 weeks. The promise is worth nothing because they also promised not to leave anything in the house when they signed the contract and they have already broken that promise by asking the question so basically you can't rely on anything they say they will do.

I would think a lot of people say yes when they mean no. I have no idea what happens if someone breaks into a garden and steals a load of pots or breaks into a garage and steals what is in there?
  • Cakeguts
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    We're talking about plants in pots, not plants in the ground (which would be different).

I agree but how is the buyer supposed to know which plants they can keep and which ones they can't? Not only that but what happens if someone in the background of the buyer breaks into the garden and steals the plants in the pots? The problem is that neither party thinks that they are dealing with someone they don't know. But they don't know them they only know them from a couple of viewings of the property they aren't close friends.

The person being asked about leaving stuff is being asked by a stranger who they have met on a few occasions and the person doing the leaving is leaving their stuff with a stranger.

The post about someone leaving pots in a garden where the new owners wouldn't mind because they weren't moving in until they had had work done. That means more strangers in the garden seeing the pots. How long do you think it would take for someone to tell someone in the pub about these big pots and for them all to disappear from a garden attached to an empty house? What is the buyer going to think about that and will the seller blame them for the loss of their pots?

It is so much simpler for people to just not ask which is why the contract is for vacant possession.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I understand that but on here there are people who will take advantage of others. There are people on here who don't empty their houses before completion takes place this does inconvenience people and it would just be all so much simpler if people just took everything out before completion so that that was the normal way of doing things and people didn't leave stuff behind to pick up later.

Some people will say yes just to be nice. If that happens then they are being taken advantage of. Leaving stuff behind should be the absolute exception not something that people feel that they can ask to happen and certainly not something that buyers should feel that they have to offer because they are nice people.

Do you not think that your buyers would be just as happy if you removed the plants before completion?

I assume that you will be paying your buyers for the rent of their garden with something to the value of the storage costs you have saved?

a) we didn't ask them, they offered.....whilst admitting they're feeling bad about the situation we are in because of them;

b) of course they'd be just as happy, but they offered and are not moving in straight away - they've volunteered that they want to do this;

c) WRT our previous situation where we stored our stuff at the property between exchange and completion, we offered our vendors rent - actually gave it to them - and they refused, handing it straight back. It had never entered our heads to ask to store stuff there, nor to do it without making suitable payment.

We have already reached an agreement regarding payment for this favour in our current situation.

I guess (most of) the people we've dealt with during our house buying/selling experiences - are nice people......yes ;)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I agree but how is the buyer supposed to know which plants they can keep and which ones they can't? Not only that but what happens if someone in the background of the buyer breaks into the garden and steals the plants in the pots? The problem is that neither party thinks that they are dealing with someone they don't know. But they don't know them they only know them from a couple of viewings of the property they aren't close friends.

The person being asked about leaving stuff is being asked by a stranger who they have met on a few occasions and the person doing the leaving is leaving their stuff with a stranger.

The post about someone leaving pots in a garden where the new owners wouldn't mind because they weren't moving in until they had had work done. That means more strangers in the garden seeing the pots. How long do you think it would take for someone to tell someone in the pub about these big pots and for them all to disappear from a garden attached to an empty house? What is the buyer going to think about that and will the seller blame them for the loss of their pots?

It is so much simpler for people to just not ask which is why the contract is for vacant possession.

I'll say it again - the plants in question are all in pots/planters.

Our situation might be unusual in that the builders concerned are all closely related to/work for the person closely related to our buyers.....so it's unlikely anything will go missing.

Not only that but it's a very difficult property to gain access to ;)

Our buyers have actually visited the property six/seven times, each visit lasting between one and three hours. As a result we have come to know them quite well and have a friendly relationship, so whilst not exactly friends we trust them and in the same way, they trust us to come back for those items when we say we will.

I'll bow out now as I've hijacked the OP's thread enough......
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    Tell them to stick it in one of those self storage places. A garage style lock up for the month will be £100 or so. And they can get cracking now rather than moving day.

It's what we did for most of our stuff as we were moving ourselves, granted it was only 200 metres down the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure